The VMR monthly Newsletter

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

The VMR monthly Newsletter

Post by Ian Grace »

Every month I circulate a Newsletter by e-mail. When I sent out the March issue to about 1,000 recipients, about 160 bounced with a message that Google had determined the e-mail to be or look like spam. The reason for this isn't clear - it could be the title line or the attachment - who knows?

If you did not receive the March copy, you can find it (and all of the Newsletters going back to the early days) in the Members' Area of the website, or simply e-mail me and I will send a copy.

Also, if you have never received these Newsletter, but would like to, just let me know.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: The VMR monthly Newsletter

Post by Ian Grace »

Oh what fun this is!

So I discovered that all of the 145 March and April Newsletter e-mails sent to @btinternet addresses bounced as spam.

So this morning I sent the May Newsletter out - not as an attachment - but as a link in the e-mail to the website, where I uploaded the file.

Bingo! No bounces!

But....!!!

I also included links to the March and April newsletters in this mornings e-mail, and two recipients reported that they could not open either of these two links.

Interesting! I prepared the text by typing the address for the May Newsletter into my browser - to check it downloaded - and then swiped and pasted it into the Word document which I then copied into the e-mail.

For the other links, I copied and pasted the May link IN THE WORD DOCUMENT and then edited them in the document to save work.

It would appear that this breaks some celestial rule, because if I copy these links from the Newsletter e-mail and paste them into my browser - they work!
SV_Minor

Post by SV_Minor »

Hi Ian. just spotted your post above and took a look at my emails. I have the email in question but the links for March and April don't work. The May link has worked.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

You are one of several to notice this. The explanation is in my previous post.

For those who still have problems, here are the offending links:

The April Newsletter:

http://www.vintageminor.co.uk/202204%20 ... letter.pdf

The March Newsletter:

http://www.vintageminor.co.uk/202203%20 ... letter.pdf

And the Vintage Picnic information:

http://www.vintageminor.co.uk/Revills%2 ... icnics.pdf
SV_Minor

Post by SV_Minor »

Oh yeah! :oops: :lol:

They do work that way around.

Note to self:- Read a post fully and thoroughly.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Excellent!

It is a royal pain. I've had about a dozen e-mails about it, but at least I know 12 people have read it! :P
SV_Minor

Post by SV_Minor »

Ian, September's newsletter in the email sent out last week doesn't work. I've also looked in the Member's Area of the VMR website and it hasn't been posted there either.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Apologies for the delay Paul. Forwarded by e-mail and I do need to upload it to the website. Was away in Kentucky last week and then yesterday morning a wildfire sprang up very near us and we are under a level 1 evacuation alert. The air is choking and everywhere is covered in ash and burned pine needles. Google the Bolt Creek wildfire.

Never a dull moment!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

And now uploaded to the Members' Area.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Just distributed the October Newsletter and uploaded it to the Members' Area.

If you need the username and password for the Members' Area, just let me know.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

The December Newsletter was launched into the ether tonight and the archive copy has been uploaded to the secure area of the website.

If you would like a copy, but didn't receive it, just let me know.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I just circulated the January Newsletter via e-mail.

By including a link to the Newsletter, and not actually attaching it, it looks like we've got around the problem of around 140 recipients with @btinternet.com addresses having their e-mails bounced as possible spam.

If you didn't receive a copy, just let me know.

And note that all our newsletters, including today's, are archived in the Members' Area of the website.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

The May Newsletter can be found at https://www.vintageminor.co.uk/Newsletters/May.pdf.