VG 2007

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

halbe

Re: VG2007

Post by halbe »

Just another picture of the roof and rear end.

Halbe
halbe

Post by halbe »

Progress report,

Today I took the body off the chassis and into my neighbours garage.
The chassis seems straight and without any serious rust.
So ,no problems so far :!:

Regards Halbe
Toby

Post by Toby »

Wow, progress Halbe. Isn't it amazing how these chassis survive so well, considering they're closest to the wet ground and roads, often with dirt stuck on them to hold moisture? I can only assume it's because they were garaged and treasured and also mainly in use before road salting came in? Does anyone know when they started salting roads in winter. :?
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Halbe,
It all looks very sound. Its really good to be able to follow your progress via the photos. Keep them coming.
Chris
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Toby,
I think they started salting the roads the year after the first Fiat Strada was produced!! They only lasted for about two British winters. :D
Chris
Last edited by chris lambert on Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

The chassis do seem to be less rust prone than a Morris 8, I spent quite a bit of time welding mine up. The worst place on the Minor is the front arms where the front wing bolts along the chassis, water seems to get trapped in between the wings, the finishing plates and the chassis.

Excellent pictures, your garage is so clean an tidy how do you do it!

cheers
Jeremy
halbe

Post by halbe »

I'm truly amazed about the condition of my car , they must have used very good materials some 79 years ago :!:
About the workshop, my father was trained by the Dutch air force, so when we worked together on the Aston we allways cleaned the shop after we finished .Being a teenager at the time that wasn't my way :x .
I must have learned something in the meantime :shock:

Regards Halbe
halbe

Post by halbe »

On the road again. Four wheel drifting a fabric saloon :D :D

Halbe

chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Hi Halbe,
Having seen how easy it was to move VG's body, it suddenly struck me that with a long pole attached to each side and two very strong men - you could still make the summer rally in your Minor: :lol:

Chris
Last edited by chris lambert on Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
halbe

Post by halbe »

I'll put a handbrake on the chariot ,hire a pony and try it that way :lol:
The Roman Minor
halbe

Post by halbe »

progress report,

Getting on with taking VG apart , most of the parts come off easily but I had some trouble with the headlamps.
In the end i had to cut them off and will have to buy some new bolts :oops:

I also found some chassis rot in the place Jeremy told me, but only the right chassis beam next to the engine and some small patches on the snaps.
Nothing to loose sleep over, A friend who restores mmm mg's is going to weld some new bits into the chassis after it has been shot blasted.

Regards Halbe
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Halbe,
If that rust is the worst you find - then that is not too bad for an unmolested 80 year old chassis! Real progress, considering that less than three months ago the car was slowly deteriating in a Norfolk barn, with no prospect of salvation!!
Chris
DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

Yes that is just to area that gets the rust, must trap water inbetween the wings and the chassis. Looks like a straight forward repair though so as you say nothing to loose sleep over.

cheers
Jeremy
halbe

Post by halbe »

progress report,

The chassis is now nearly disassembled. Only the axle's , springs and engine/gearbox to do.
All the metal bits are in a remarkable condition with no serious rust in site :!:
There is enough work ahead ,but I'm already looking forward to do some painting and to start the reassembling .

Regards Halbe
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Halbe,
Unless I'm mistaken that is an undertray for your Minor. In my (limited) 5 year period of involvement with Minors, that is the first one I have seen fitted to a car. I have seen them in parts lists and reference has been made to them in magazines, but they are very rare indeed. I think Ian has one fitted to his 'Bed Pan' and no doubt others will tell me they are not that rare - but I think most owners took them off and threw them away in the forties and fifties!
Chris