VG 2007

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

halbe

Re: VG2007

Post by halbe »

Update,

Spent yesterday working on the manifold to increase flow and have a little better performance at lower rev's.
Also the M type sump is nice and clean and ready to be fitted.

Regards,
Halbe
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

halbe......... i'm not sure cleaning up the inside of the manifold will achieve much, especially as there is a stud stright through the middle of the inlet ports................... :roll: what a brillaint design!
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hello Ronald,

agreed! but on the other hand with 20/25 bhp every little improvement helps............ :)

Regards,
Halbe
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

The stud through the port; the port widens at that point to allow more room, but it can be be removed and replaced with an Allen bolt. This was done on some MG racers.

Ian
halbe

Post by halbe »

Update,

Finished cleaning the carb. It needs an oversize spindle shaft and the usual cork seals etc. so a complete overhaul is in order.
The water jacket plates are new, stainless steel items. The block is now off to be pressure tested to see if all is water tight and ready to be machined for the new pistons.

Regards,
Halbe
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Are you building an entire fleet of engines, just in case.........???
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hello Ronald,

No, I can only afford one engine......... :lol:
The other two engines belong to an M type owner, the red one is genuine MGM and ready for some major work. The grey one is Morris Minor and in a lot better condition so he will use that.
No idea which of the four crankshafts he is going to use.

Regards,
Halbe
halbe

Post by halbe »

Update,

While waiting for the machine shop to do my engine the two front wings and bonnet came back from the blasters.
There is just a little more work needed to get them straight and fit well.
The other thing to make is the metal strip that connects the wings to the running boards.

Regards,
Halbe
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Halbe,

This is beginning to look really good. Congratulations once again on your outstanding workmanship, attention to detail and for setting the standard for the rest of us.

When is the engine expected back for installation/firing up?
halbe

Post by halbe »

I suppose the block will be back in a couple of weeks, so towards the summer it should be ready to fit into the chassis :)
Firing up is going to be at a later date though :?
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Halbe, I would say if its at-all possible, get it running before it goes in the chassis, its so much nicer knowing that it won't have to 'maybe' come out again...... even with the best prep in the world, something can still be not quite right..........!!

Looking good though!!
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hello Ronald,

Good advice, I'll talk to Thijs to find out if he has access to a suitable test stand.
I'll sleep better knowing the engine runs ok and is still going after a couple of hours.

Regards,
Halbe
halbe

Post by halbe »

Update,

Got news today from the machine shop that the block is beyond repair.......... :?

The presure test reveiled a lot of frost damage with the result that the advice is to find another suitable block

So if anybody has a early block , small dynamo, available please let me know.

Regards,
Halbe
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Halbe, that IS bad news. But better to find out now, I suppose. I'll out out a Wanted ad for you.

Ian
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Advert posted. I think I have a 1929 block arriving here in the container in April. I could have it checked and shipped to you if it passes a pressure test.

You should have grabbed it when you did the oil change on my fabric saloon in Rotterdam last week. :D