VG 2007

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: VG2007

Post by Ian Grace »

The Register has plenty of M needles if anyone wants one - the price is a pint next time we meet!

The image of the block with the inspection plate and three bolts shows a very early block. Slightly less early blocks had the round cast boss, but it was solid. Once production got going, the redundant boss was deleted.

Halbe, I think the standard carb. will be fine with the 12/12 cam and M compression ratio - I've run all my Minors like that over the years and am fully satisfied with the result. Mind you, I'll be interested to see how the McEvoy goes with its larger downdraught carb. and other tuning mods. Keep up the great work.

Ian
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

I was interested to see the 12/12 camshaft - looks nothing like an original one! The original ones don't have 'square' tips so I guess it's a new design. Can you tell us the supplier? Does anyone else have one like this? I would very much like to know how well they work and whether they need special followers to go with them.

Cheers,
Ian
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Ian,

The flat-topped lobes are the easy way to determine that a cam is 12/12 (or C Type) or standard Minor. Think about it - if you want the valves wide open for a period, you have to have a flat-topped cam lobe. The first thing I do when I buy as Minor is whip the cam cover off and take a look - the difference is very obvious. No need for special cam followers - the profile is the same for any cam. If you want one, start with Mike Dowley 01939/210458.
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hello,

The camshaft came from Sports and Vintage, 'll let you know how it functions just don't hold your breath waiting for news....... :D
And yes , Ian could you sent me two needles?

Regards,
Halbe
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Two needles on their way, Halbe.

Ronald wants one, so that's three pints to look forward to. :o
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

Re the 12/12 camshaft. Let me put it another way, an original 12/12 camshaft lobe does not have a sharp corner to the 'squared off' part. In fact, the inlet lobe is the same shape as the exhaust and also the same as the Minor exhaust cam lobe. I know the Minor inlet is pointed but the exhaust lobe is the same as the 12/12 in shape. My point was that Halbe's cam has sharp edges instead of being rounded off and this is something I've not seen before.

Ian
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

I too was a little surprised at the abruptness of the 'flats' on the 12/12 lobes. My camshaft is a S&V C-type and reputedly 'hotter' than the 12/12 but more rounded in appearance. I should add that I have not seen a 12/12 cam previously.

The lobe on the Baynton-Jones 'state of the art' camshaft (below left) has the rounded appearance I would expect but suggests quite a long open period. I am unsure of the identity of the other (below right) which was described as 'J2' but I believe it is probably 'C'.

ImageImage
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Fascinating topic - lobe shape all depends on the profile, and who designed it. The S&V 12/12 cams seem to be the ones with 'squared off' lobes which would suggest the valves being wide open for a long period. Interesting to see the other types don't have this 'feature'.

The late Richard Burke (M and Minor owner, husband of Rosemary Burke) was deep into designing a new cam when he died. I have his engineering drawing somewhere with the cam profile/lobe shapes that he had calculated to be optimal for the engine. I must take a look for it.
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Assuming the square shoulder of the lobe is on the closing side, the squarer it is, the quicker the valves will close, this in turns means it has most likely been open for longer, allowing more air/fuel in, and more exhaust out........ assuming on intake and exhaust lobes........ the rounder the lobes are i believe makes the engine smoother, but do we want smooth, or power......... seldom can you have the best of everything in this world.......!
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

The Baynton Jones camshaft at the older VAT rate was about £350 so although it is hard to have the best of everything in this world I would hope this goes some way towards it.I gather Baynton Jones used CAD to arrive at this design and I understand it works very well all round without being 'fussy'. It would be really interesting to hear a report on how it affects a Minor.Has anyone already tried one?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I'd be very interested in a hotter SV cam for the McEvoy too.
Toby

Post by Toby »

I have been following this and wondering if there were ever tuned cams for sv engines! presumably there were 2 types due to the different tappet clearances? :?
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

Would the McEvoy have had a special camshaft fitted originally?

Ian
halbe

Post by halbe »

Update

Work is progressing well. The block has been repaired and looks ok. The cylinder head is also going well with the camshaft fitted and the vertical drive adjusted.
After all the post's I'm really anxious to hear my engine run and feel how it drives, will have to wait some more :?
Also new rocker shafts and a rear support have been fitted. The exhaust manifold has been shot blasted and I will bring it to a company near Eindhoven to see if they can put a heatshield(coating) on it.

And look what I've found , an M type sump :D I think it will look great on VG's engine. It has been damaged but as far as i can see rather well repaired/welded.

Regards,
Halbe

Ps, Let's have a new thread regarding camshafts
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Halbe,

Looks like your car should go quite well - with that straight 12 cylinder engine in it. :D But how do the four pieces of crankshaft go together?!

Nice progress, nice sump. Keep, it up.

Ian