Vintage Minor Register
The Lewis and Nicholson Trophy
Peter Hull’s History of the
VSCC, published in 1964 to mark the Club’s 30th Anniversary
contains a reference to vintage Minors in the very first paragraph of the book:
“On October 5th 1934
a letter appeared in The Light Car under the signatures of C. P. L. Nicholson
and E. T. Lewis
suggesting the formation of a club for pre-1931 sports cars. Colin Lindsay-Nicholson, who described himself
‘Secretary’, was at the time the owner of an Austin 7 whilst Ned Lewis, who, undertook to be ‘Competition Secretary’,
had a 1930 Morris Minor.”
History tells how this
germ of an idea took root and the new club (then known as the Veteran Sports
until the Veteran Car Club complained) held its first meeting in Harrow on 23rd October.
Ned Lewis went on to found the Northern Section in 1937.
So the founding Competition
Secretary of the VSCC campaigned a vintage Minor, and perhaps competitive
in club circles between the Minor and the Seven can now be dated to 1934 and these two gentlemen.
What more appropriate name therefore to give an Austin Seven versus Morris Minor competition trophy than
the Lewis and Nicholson Trophy!
And so it is that the Lewis
and Nicholson Trophy is competed for anually at our Summer Rallies
when a team of vintage Sevens challenges a team of vintage Minors in the Navigation Rally.
Return to the Rally Page