1932 2-seater 439 UXP

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

1932 2-seater 439 UXP

Post by Ian Grace »

http://www.classic-sportscar.co.uk/Cars ... /front.htm

Being offered by Nicky Paul-Barron. Was originally RM 8758 - but the number was lost many years ago - hence the sixties number. Chassis SV11664.

Nicky also bought the M Type at the Castle Combe auction, and this may be offered by him soon. Nice example - 2M/2111. Watch this space.
Tony Gamble

Re: 1932 2-seater 439 UXP

Post by Tony Gamble »

Ian

Strangely enough , I used to own this car , when it was RM 8758 !

Lost track of it after I sold it in the early '80's.

Tony G
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Interesting, Tony. What can you tell us about it? Do you have any photos of it at that time? Was it battleship gray back then?
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

Well , let me see .....

Back in the 60's and 70's when " Exchange & Mart " was the weekly gold mine publication for old cars I came across an advert for not one but two SV two seaters , both in a total dismantled state , but essentially complete , somewhere near Hull if I remember correctly. I was not the first caller , unfortunately , but still went over to see them in case the first "buyer" did not want both of them.

One was a '31 black radiator two seater ,and the other was a '32 chrome radiator two seater , and they were spread out in a garage all over the floor. Which bits were from which car was impossible to tell ! The bodies were there , but were only fit for patterns. Otherwise the "kits" looked fairly complete.

Unfortunately the first caller did want them both , and was actually there when I called. I can't remember his name now , but he came from Scarborough , and worked for Plaxtons , a coachbuilding company there.

A couple of years later I was passing a garage on the way into Scarborough and saw a grey '32 SV two seater in the window.
I stopped [ as you do ] and went back to have a look. It was actually for sale and was the very one that was one of the pair that I had looked at previously.

To cut a long story short , I haggled for it and acquired it. It was very well restored [ I imagine that the apprentices in the coachbuilding company had played a considerable part , although the restorer himself was very skilled ].

I was also able to see the restored '31 black rad SV two seater too , which was equally super , but it was not for sale.

Hence I became the owner and ran it for a couple of years before passing it on to someone in Huddersfield , and then lost track of it.

So here it is again , but sadly without its original registration. How that should have happened we probably know only too well.

This is what it looked like then.
32svminorf1.JPG
32svminorf1.JPG (164.9 KiB) Viewed 2169 times
Tony G
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Tony,

Thanks for all the history! What was the identity of the '31?

I, too was brought up on Exchange and Mart - bought many cars from its pages - everything from Austin 7's and Minors to a Ford Pop and a superb Jowett Javelin! In fact I found my first Minor 2-seater (PJ 5121) when I placed a Wanted ad for a Morris 8 tourer - that would have been back in 1977.

(Incidentally, if anyone is posting images on the forum, if you set the width to 900 pixels, they fit perfectly in the viewing area.)
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I have a photograph of John Blake's 32 two seater at Enfield 1958 - PJ 3439 - I think is has vanished. Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

PJ 3439 - no record on the chassis register, no record at DVLA. Could I have a copy of the photo, Alister?

However, SV Minors continue to be added to the chassis register at an amazing pace. We are now up to 429 known survivors, but only 204 chassis numbers are recorded, which means that most of the rest are known to exist, but we are not in contact with the current owner. I wouldn't be surprised if there are close to 1,000 surviving examples out there somewhere.

Everyone can do their part in filling in the gaps in the chassis register - just go to the chassis register in the Members' Area and check it every time you come across a 'new' Minor and see if the details recorded there are up to date. If not, please let me know. Lilewise for OHC Minors and M Types of course. We are up to 414 OHC Minors and 351 M Types.