1930 M Type project for sale in Eire

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

1930 M Type project for sale in Eire

Post by Ian Grace »

See the home page. This is an interesting car. VMR records indicate that back in the sixties it was fitted with a single-seater body.

Registration number is UN 3351 (on a continuation logbook dated 2nd September 1946. So no V5C.) Chassis is 2M/885. However, there is a tax disk with the car, but the chassis number has so far not been found on the chassis. Time to get the wire brush out. Engine is 1929 Minor - U6321. The car is also known to the MM Register.

The car comes with a comprehensive file describing in detail how to build the body, plus a ¼ size copy of the original Carbodies drawing showing both the standard and Double 12 bodies.

Paul would prefer the car to go to an enthusiast rather than a dealer - or for spares. I agree.

I have more photos of the car if anyomne is interested.

Interestingly, Register member Kenji Matsuoka's M over in Japan is 2M/886 - which was laid down 1st February 1930, so that more or less dates 2M/885.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: 1930 M Type project for sale in Eire

Post by Ian Grace »

The following just in from the seller, Paul Macnaughton:

"MG M type.

Registration Number UN 3351

Chassis Number 885.

Engine Number 6321 A

Date of first registration 6th February 1930 ------ VINTAGE

Last taxed for 4 months up to February 1961 ( we have the tax disc !!! )

The vehicle was purchased from the last registered owner

I met him about 4 or 5 years ago. His name was Jack Corr and at that time he was in his late 80’s

When I visited the house --- the chassis was hanging out of the roof !!!!!!!

Over the next while he assembled the car and got the engine to run again, and still is on the button He told me that the cylinder head had been rebuilt, also the dynamo was reconditioned and I think converted to 12 volts.

As you will see from the photographs, the Ironmongery seems to be all there , shock absorbers, hand brake, windscreen frame, fuel tank, steering etc : etc:

Unfortunately the instruments are not correct or complete ( possibly Austin Seven ?? ) No wiring loom, and the starter may not be correct but it works.

Body :-- From the front -- bonnet not in good condition, Skuttle in 3 pieces, -- a good template , 2 doors ( usable ), and nothing else. But we do have a copy of an original “ Carbodies “ ¼ size drawing showing both the

Original and the Double 12 designs. A friend of mine designed and built a sports body on a 1930,s Legonda using 2” polystyrene cut into strips as a quick and cheap way to built up the body and see what it would look like. It turned out very well.

Wheels : 4 are correct and one is from a Morris Minor. The brakes have been relined ,and they work !!! The King pins have been renewed. Brake cables are missing but easily replaced. One mistake that Jack made was that he fitted the front brake back plates on the wrong sides.

Wings : The rear ones are there and usable, the front ones are cycle wings and had been attached to the back plates.—not a good idea.

We also have a file containing details of how to build the body AND a photocopy of an original “ Carbodies “ ¼ size drawing.

The reason for selling is the ever problem of space and time, I would like the car to be restored rather than broken for spares.

Price as advertised £ 4500.00 ( STG ) Delivery to Dublin port can be arranged.

If I can be of any assistance do not hesitate to contact me.

Paul Macnaughton.

00 353 87 223 02 54.."