3 Speed Gearbox Jumping Out of top

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

D Johnson

3 Speed Gearbox Jumping Out of top

Post by D Johnson »

A friend has a 1929 OHC morris with a 3 speed box that keeps jumping out of top.

Is this a common problem if so does any know of a fix

Thanks

David
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: 3 Speed Gearbox Jumping Out of top

Post by Ian Grace »

Hello David,

I haven't experienced this problem myself - but I'd suspect perhaps worn selector ball springs or badly worn teeth? Is this one of Brian's tourers? Does it feel at all sloppy when selecting top?

The only problem I have ever had with a Minor box is it locking up when allowed to roll backwards when first gear is selected. Don't ask me how this happens, but I spent an embarrassing few moments at a green traffic light years ago - and rocking the car forward and back is the only way to free things up.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I now have a four speed box in my 1933 sv two seater. This jumps out of third gear when 'driven' and fouth on over-run, i.e. when approaching a roundabout and you take your foot of the accelerator. When going uphill fast in third gear I keep the gear lever in gear with my hand (not difficult and I am now used to it). What caused this I do not know. I did restore (rebuild) the gear box But I am no expert and just cleaned everything and put it all back together. I do not remember if I had this problem 6 years ago when I purchased the Minor. Then I did not realise one had to use third so much when climping hill and used to struggle up in forth!!. There must be a reason for this jumping out of gear - come on chaps - answers please. Highlander.
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Maybe the end of the gear lever has worn, and the square 'lump' needs building back up again to get slightly more 'travel' when selecting gears.........
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I have this morning sold my 2 seater to a member of my Golf Club. Never even drove it!! When I drove him round the block I told him to hold the gear lever when going up hill in third gear. He did not mind. Thanks everyone for your help in the past. Will have a few spares to sell - dynamo, starter, carb and manifold etc. Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Alister,

Sorry to hear that. Do please put the new owner in touch with me, and feel free to swing by here whenever you feel like it.

Cheers, and very best wishes,

Ian