1930 M Type - buy it now (in Florida) for $45,000!

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

1930 M Type - buy it now (in Florida) for $45,000!

Post by Ian Grace »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MG-M-Typ ... ucks#v4-32

Scroll down to view some very nice high res shots - silly price, but it certainly looks the business. And according to DVLA, it still retains a V5. First registered 18/7/30.

Note the comments: "The M Type offered here spent some time in the collection of noted collector Patrick Hart. It also was formerly owned by a noted collector from Redmond Washington and then joined the collection of a California-based enthusiast. The restoration has held up well, both mechanically and cosmetically. With its flowing black fenders and subtly contrasting blue fabric body, this lovely restored MG remains show worthy. The previous owner advises us that the car has its original wood body and original engine. In fact, he believes it to be the only remaining M-Type of its kind with the original engine."

I work in Redmond, Washington! Also note the comment that the previous owner believes that this is the only remaining M Type with its original engine. I beg to differ!
Simon

Re: 1930 M Type - buy it now (in Florida) for $45,000!

Post by Simon »

Did you notice the British Legion badge on the badge bar.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Yes - very nice touch. In fact, and extremely nice car all round, by the looks of it. Perhaps that price isn't too outlandish - particularly as he seems open to offers. it would be good to see it returned to the UK.
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

I don't think it has its original body, or at least not the tail section. The back is supposed to slope downwards so the top side rails of the boot and the ply covering and also the complete boot lid must be new. Strangely, there is hardly any gap between the back of the windscreen and the edge of the scuttle, so either it has a new front made too narrow, or a new windscreen made too wide. I like the wings though!

Ian
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Yes, I've seen far too many M Types with 'flat' boot lids - far easier to make, but - for me - they ruin the classic lines of the tail.

Since the Beaulieu 'reference' M Type turned out to be a SV Minor, I wonder which M should be considered the reference car. Mike Dalby's 2M1056 may be a candidate? Here's Peter taking a close look at it on the 2007 VMR Summer Rally.