Four-bladed fan on '34 Minors?

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Four-bladed fan on '34 Minors?

Post by Ian Grace »

Can someone confirm my suspicion that '34 Minors had four-bladed fans fitted as standard? TIA.
Highlander

Re: Four-bladed fan on '34 Minors?

Post by Highlander »

My spare 1934 sv engine has four blades. My 1933 original engine does not. Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thanks Alister.

Ian
Toby

Post by Toby »

my 33 saloon has a m8 dynamo and 4 blade fan, i have been thinking of fitting a 4 blade to the tourer as it boils on steep long hills once it's hot. Will it help with cooling?!!! :?
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I am sure four blades would help. My 1933 two seater boils like a good one on long hills and long high speed (!?) bursts. When overhauling the engine I paid attention to cleaning the waterways in the block and head. I got a bucketfull of rust, scale and sh.t out. I also renewed all core plugs. Still boils so I live with it. I might try my spare four blade fan. Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Interersting discussion - I have had more than a few Minors and never had any boiling problems with any of them. The calormeter needle always seems rock stable. And the M Type - which has a narrower radiator than the Minor had no fan at all. Is it perhaps the honeycomb that is clogged, rather than too few fan blades or clogged block which is at the core (!) of the problem?
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

My M has only boiled once in all the time I've had it, and that was on a particularly horrendous hill in Scotland. However, when I have found it to be running unusually hot it has been due to the ignition being too far retarded. I think there is a tendency to set it retarded because it appears to be running more smoothly. I can't say it's something I have ever found easy to get right.

Ian
Toby

Post by Toby »

I spent a good amount of time trying to sort this out a while back, including £550 for a new rad core which appeared to make no difference! Back flushed the engine too. Don't want to take the head off as that lead to a very expensive rebuild on the saloon!!! Everyone has told me the needle sits at just before boil and they run hot.... :shock:
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

It might be worth having a look at the piston in the carb. These come in various weights and it may be that yours is on the light side. If so, it will rise quickly leading to a weak mixture which will make the engine run hot even if the needle is correctly set at idle. Electronic kitchen scales work well for weighing - you could compare the ones you have. Also, I find a vacuum gauge very useful for nailing down problems in the carb and ignition departments. Regarding the fan, I have used two blade fan, a four blade fan, and now no fan - I haven't really noticed much difference! Probably good to have if you get stuck in a traffic jam on a hot day.
Ian
Toby

Post by Toby »

interesting ideas-it (they) don't mind being sat in traffic at idle or going fast(!), it's under load they heat up. About to start works on the tourer to go over the brakes, again, and also remove exhaust as pattern for new stainless one to be made, also have door pockets repaired....