GPO van for sale.........

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ronald

GPO van for sale.........

Post by Ronald »

http://charterhouse-auction.com/ClassicCarSales.aspx scroll down to see it.........

oddly, this is the same auction that our old cammy van ended up at!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: GPO van for sale.........

Post by Ian Grace »

This is George Bryne's van - has been advertised on Marketplace since last June.
ashford

Post by ashford »

Back in May a GPO van in good restored / original condition fetched £9,300 at the Cheffins sale at the Bradworthy Tranport Museum.

http://www.cheffins.co.uk/news/devon-cr ... ch/?srch=t

The bargains of the sale in my eyes were the Hanomag and an Austin 7 special rumoured to have been built by Elva.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

James,

How is that Rover 8 coming along?
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

James, what year is your Rover 8? I have a very good photo taken in 1927 of an early Rover 8 taken in Ewell, SDurrey. The owner sold the 8 to buy a 1927 Humber 9 which I owned for many years.H ighlander. (Alister 0208 393 6732)
ashford

Post by ashford »

Progress has been slow on the Rover due to other things / work. I had a good find on ebay a few weeks ago. I bought some spare wheels and hubcaps which I'm told are like hen's teeth. My car was missing its spare and several hubcaps. I'm now trying to find some spare 28x3 old tyres so that I can roll the chassis around.

Highlander - its a 1921 car which has spent all its life in Cornish ownership. I would love to see your rover photo. I have been slowly building a library of images. Despite nearly 18,000 being built they seem to have been relatively fogotten compared to other cars.

On the subject of GPO vans - I still have an original bonnet for one. Free to a good home!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

A couple of years back, Peter Balding - an old RAF friend from our days at RAF St. Mawgan in Cornwall together, contacted me to tell me that a friend of ours in Cornwall back in the eighties had a Rover 8 in need of restoration for up for offer. The car had had a very sheltered history and he had owned it for many years, but never had time to sort it David Hughes was the Land Rover agent for Cornwall and interesting chap - he was a Manx TT racer and has a small collection of interesting cars and a huge collection of racing bikes. He also owns a hotel in the Isle of Man. It is Peter I'm staying with in Tarlton for the Summer Rally weekend.

I put the word out in the VSCC, and Cornishman James was the perfect recipient. Any chance of a recent picture or two James?
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

James, I will dig the old photo of the Rover 8 and send it down to you - address please. I will also look for some old 28x3 tyres - these will be B/E? I had an early 8/18 Humber but would these have been 26x3? I will look in the week. We have a wedding next Saturday - a Daughter is getting married second time round but I am still the Father of the Bride so I am 'up in the air!!' (not half as much as the Mother of the Bride!!!) Highlander.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

James. Have dug out photo of Rover 8. I am no expert on dates but looks as if on BE tyres - 1922-25ish. The wheels are disc and not spoked. I have also dug out my old Humber 8 tyres and they are 26x3BE. Are yours 28?? Two tyres are brand new (indian) and one very old and US. Yours if you want them. Address please. Index No - MF 2344. Highlander. 0208 393 6732.
ashford

Post by ashford »

Allister, Many thanks for the kind offer of the tyres. Rover's did use 26inch tyres on some cars but mine are definitely the 28inch ones. The old photo sounds very intresting. Disc wheels were fitted to all the Rover 8's apart from the 1919 proto-type. I wouldn't want you to risk your original in the post but Im happy to send you a stamped addressed evelope and pay you for a copy or perhaps see you at the summer rally. There's no hurry so I'll contact you nearer the time.

I have struggled all week trying to mend my computer which has all my photos in it and just about everything else. Hopefully I'll have something working soon and I'll be able to upload a few photos of the Rover and my minor projects.

James
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

OK James but the photo is a copy anyway and I have them 50 years!!! It is up to you. Can you still get 28x3? Some early M/Cycles had them. Seem large (tall) to me. Highlander.