4.00X19 Tyre Size

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Peter S

4.00X19 Tyre Size

Post by Peter S »

I was planning to replace my current 3.50 x 19 tyres with 4.00 x 19, which I believe are the correct size for a M type Midget. However when I fitted them to the car the front tyres are rubbing against the rear edge of the wing and inner wing when the steering is turned. Is 4.00 x19 correct and if anyone is running this size and experianced a similar problem how did you overcome it?

Thanks

Peter
DF9053

Re: 4.00X19 Tyre Size

Post by DF9053 »

Hi Peter,

Yes the 4.00x19 do rub on the wings on full lock. I had a 1929 car so they also rubbed on the brake rods!

I solved the problem by turning some larger cotton reels to limit the movement of the steering drop arm. They fitted in place of the existing steering box stops which hold the steering drop arm cover bar on. You may have to experiement with sizes to maximise the lock while just missing the wings.

There has been some debate on these pages about the steering drop arm on M types - there is a version that is bent to more of an S shape which naturally limits lock. Many M types have now been fitted with Minor arms or had their originals straightened, the Minor has a better steering lock than the M type which may expalin the modification.

Cheers
Jeremy
Peter S

Re: 4.00X19 Tyre Size

Post by Peter S »

Thanks Jeremy,

I would like to go for the larger size so will look at the modifications you suggest. However I think I will also need to drop back the front wings as by just limiting the lock will mean I have to do a 10 point turn just to get around a corner as these tyres run so close to the panels. The other way would be to put a spacer between the cross member and the chassis but then all kinds of things go out of kilter. The rear is not a problem.

Regards

Peter