chassis castings

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Frank van Voorst

chassis castings

Post by Frank van Voorst »

I removed the iron castings that hold the springs for rebushing. Is it important to mark what is left and right or are they interchangeable?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: chassis castings

Post by Ian Grace »

The only interchageable ones are the front spring rear mounting castings (that take the front spring shackles). All the other six castings will be handed.
Frank van Voorst

The rear spring rear castings also appear symmetrical to me :shock: except for the wear. I will mark them so I can replace them in their original location.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

The rear springs are not parallel to the chassis, so I was thinking that they wouldn't be interchangeable, but thinking about it more, they could actually be virtually interchangeable, because they can be turned upside down and fitted on the other side - if you see what I mean. In other words the difference is possibly so slight because they are angled up at about 40 degrees) that it doesn't matter. It might be interesting to compare any part numbers cast into them.

I might think differently after I've had the first coffee of the day - its only 7-30 a.m. here!
Toby

Post by Toby »

i have a new front casting (1 only!) so at some point these have been made. Wish i could find some more!
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Simon

Post by Simon »

They are not interchangeable as they have different part numbers, see Harry Edwards Minor Handbook. The guide for the brake cables fits on the top of the castings.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Simon,

it is the rear spring rear castings that may be virtually interchangeable - the large rear spring front housings are clearly handed because of the chassis angle.
Frank van Voorst

To clarify the issue see the part numbers on page 20 of the Harry Edwards Information manual

Front dumb irons part numbers D20 (3682) and D21 (3683) i.e. handed parts, chassis number is on the right
front spring bracket part number D25 (3355) i.e. two identical parts
Front hangers rear spring D26 (3629) and D27 (3628) i.e. handed parts
Rear dumb irons D22 (3498), i.e. identical parts