shackle pins

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Frank van Voorst

shackle pins

Post by Frank van Voorst »

What is the place to buy new shackle pins for the front and rear springs?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: shackle pins

Post by Ian Grace »

Frank,

There are other sources for some of these, but I get mine from Mike Dowley (+44) 1939/210458. He has the 8 shackle pins, the two front spring front mounting pins (identical to the shackle pins, but about 1/4" longer) and the two threaded rear spring front mounting pins. He also has the shackles if yours are worn.

You should already have the original slotted nuts and thick penny washers needed to get everything to line up. Mike can also supply the correct size split pins and grease nipples for the pins if you don't have or want to use your originals. They won't be the original cube-shape, but modern equivalents that take a high-pressure grease gun.

That just leaves the two special lockwashers for the rear spring front mounting pins, and I have never found a source for original pattern ones, but it is easy enough to make a pair of tab washers that will do the job - and you won't notice the difference in their shape at 50 mph. :D
Frank van Voorst

Excellent I will order them tomorrow.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

If I fit the correct mounting washers and pins to the rear spring front mounting will my Minor reach 50mph!!! Highlander (still tying anything for extra speed!!)
Frank van Voorst

Why not try the McEvoy Special washers :lol:
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Yeah, but make sure they came from a Model 70, not a Model 60 - you'll get an extra 10 mph! :D
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

OK, OK, but I did drive my Minor at 45mph today!!! Did any of you? Been to another funeral today of a very dear friend. Thank your lucky stars, Highlander.
Jpallis001

Post by Jpallis001 »

Talking about shackle pins, does anyone know what the thread is? Also having difficult finding nuts for the cylinder head studs (1933 Sidevalve), and having difficulty finding the Unions to make up a pipe from the sump to the pump. Anyone able to help with info about the threads used on this pipe or know of the whereabouts of a pipe?

John Pallister
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

John,

I can answer one of those three questions!

The cylinder head nuts are the same as those fitted to the OHC Minor and M Type - so Mike Dowley at Sports & Vintage can supply high tensile nuts for you. 01939/210458. Please mention the VMR, as Mike is our key Summer Rally sponsor!

As for threads, most of the threads on the Minor are BSF (or BA for the small stuff), with maybe some bicycle threads in odd places. I can't think of anything that is Whitworth, but there may be something BSW tucked away somewhere.
Jpallis001

Post by Jpallis001 »

Thanks Ian - I did contact Mike who was unsure whether the SV head nuts were the same as the OHC. Since then I have found that the exhaust manifold nuts off my Morris 1000 fit (UNC I believe). Not made any progress yet with the other two threads.

John
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Sounds like we need to start a threads thread on this forum. :D
mowersman

Post by mowersman »

Oooh yes please!!!
Threads confuse me!!!
Ian Grace