Two SV Minor problems

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Two SV Minor problems

Post by Ian Grace »

New member Tommy Jardine has a couple of issues with his recently-acquired SV Minor. Can anyone help? I have suggested that his distributor might be a later type with automatic advance/retard and that it might be of the wrong rotation - although thinking about it, wouldn't the gearing have to be reversed as well - which isn't possible with the standard Minor crank gear?

Here's his plea for information:

I wonder if I can enlist the help of more experienced members with a problem I am having with my 1934 SV Minor. I have recently purchased this car which has lain in store for almost 20 years. It is a charming little car and I am very pleased with it but the long period of idleness has caused a number of problems which I am working through. I had to remove the head to free the valves which had stuck open due to the long period of disuse. Having done that and having cleaned out the sump the engine started quite readily and has 100 PSI compression on each cylinder. I believe it is basically very sound.

There are two problems which I am having trouble resolving.

Firstly, the spark plugs appear to soot up very readily. I had the car out this morning and it was running well but after a few minutes idling the engine would not run properly and the plugs were heavily sooted. I have tried setting the carb mixture and it seems OK but I keep getting this problem.

The other problem does not seem to make sense but perhaps someone can help. When I put a timing light on the engine the firing point at idling speed is just before TDC which I would reckon would be correct. When I work the manual advance the mark advances a little as I would expect. However, when I rev up the engine to bring in the automatic advance the timing retards. I have checked this a few times and without doubt the timing mark moves in the opposite direction to that I would expect. I have not done anything with the distributor other than clean and set the points so if there is a problem it has been on the car for many years.
Has anyone got any ideas before I lose what little hair I have left? I had hoped to get the car out this weekend so if anyone has any ideas I would welcome a call on 01555 770961.

Tommy Jardine
Carluke,
Scotland
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Two SV Minor problems

Post by Ian Grace »

Tommy is now in urgent need of a couple of parts for his gearbox - please see his Wanted advert in Marketplace on the main website if you think you may be able to help him.