All our yesterdays

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

All our yesterdays

Post by Ian Grace »

All our todays will become all our yesterdays tomorrow! So I thought that it might be interesting to start a thread where we can all 'blog' our activities - old car or otherwise - along similar lines to the VSCC's 'Today I mostly be' forum thread - for those who know it.

So let me start off. Today I bought a Brooklands programme for the 60th Anniversary meet at the track from Eoin Young (http://www.peterrenn.co.uk/about1.htm). KR 5670 was there, so this programme might be an appropriate item to slip into one of the door pockets.

Here's KR at Brooklands as captured by the camera of Ken Martin. Bearing in mind that the car was 37 years old at this point, it certainly looks like it led a very sequestered life during those almost four decades. That's its original fabric and paint - looks almost new - although the tyres are not the original triple stud items. The programme lists the displayed vintage cars, so may even reference this car.

In other reesearch today, I found that Olive Willats' cottage in Bletchingley, where the car lived between 1960 and 1978, is currently for sale:

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/detail ... est4274114

If that is the sort of price 3-bedroom cottages are selling for in the UK these days, I don't think we will be planning to retire in England! :o

Toby

Re: All our yesterdays

Post by Toby »

Today i have been paving a large area, potting up bedding, devising ways to keep the mice from eating any more sweetcorn/bean seedlings, reading the automobile, delivering community association newsletters, sourcing material for a bike club newsletter which I am now editing, looking at a job relaying paving outside the church hall, rebuilding the carb on my mums rover, paying my accounts and hope to watch the final debate before what promises to be one of the best elections for years. Phew. :shock:
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Yes, I saw Gordon Brown's little problem with the radio mic on the local Seattle news last night. :o

Spending most evenings this week knocking out M 135 covers. There are 250 copies to go out, so that's 500 sheets, or 1,000 sides. The first sides are generally no problem - I put them through in batches of 30 and let the printer get on with it - except when the ink is getting low, I put them through 10 at a time, because I know the printer is watching me, and as soon as I get up to make the tea, it will start churning out duff pages (each issue uses up about 5 colour cartridges and one black cartridge, depending on the images being printed). The bigger problem is the second sides because the printer doesn't like printing on the back of photo paper which is already printed on the other side. It tends to try to pick up 5 or 6 sheets at a time and prints a bit of the image across all of them, wasting ink, card and ruining half-printed covers. This it also does immediately I step away from the computer. So I have to feed the beast one sheet at a time - all 500 of them, and each one takes about a minute to print in best quality - you do the maths. :o
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Lots of people swinging by the forum, but nobody has got anything to say! Just went down the pub for a couple of pints of Fullers ESB and a sausage roll (yes, we have an English pub here in Redmond - The Three Lions - the TV was playing BBC America - Gordon Ramsay's The F Word! I love that guy). Now trying to see where I was with this damned software verification plan I have to finish by tonight. :o
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I do not know what all this is about but to answer one of your questions - 3 bedroom houses, detached, in this part of Surrey are expensive. I think the price they are asking is £100,000 over the top but who knows. Bletchingley is very nice (Ewell is better!!!) I hate Gordon Ramsey. One the subject of House prices I paid £7000 for my house in 1969 (three bed, detached, half acre) I have done nothing to it (No extentions) except add on to the garage (now 4 car) This week a house up the road sold in hours for £700,000!!!!. All I have done is lived in the house, raised two daughters and held many good parties - better than work!!. Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Nearly four years after discovering the McEvoy NV 2803 in a workshop in the centre of Ipswich, the car should be removed from its lair tomorrow - after being hidden away since 1957 by its second owner, who acquired it in 1938, when it was five years old. He bought it for GBP 6/10/- from a chap outside a pub and who had just ran it into a tree. He wanted GBP 7/10/- for it, but also wanted a drink! :D

It will be taken to Walker Freight in Colnbrook by Storacar where it will wait for about two weeks to be joined by KR 5670 which is coming down from Yorkshire before being containerized and shipped via the Panama Canal to Seattle. Given a fair wind, both cars should be safely in my garage by the end of June.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Stunning day here in Seattle today - gin clear skies after a week of continuous rain. Flew for a couple of hours - ten landings, 9 decent one, won't mention the other one. :o

Winds were calm so I was landing heading north at Boeing's Paine Field while new Boeings on flight test were landing south on the parallel runway next to me. A novel experience.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

You are sounding more like Biggles than Biggles himself!!!!! What are you flying? No rain in SE England but still very cold. Was out in the Minor at 6am taking photographs of our local Garage which is featured in our Library taken 1932 when opened. A 1932 two seater is pictured at the Shell pump. I have re-enacted the scene. (All on other blogg) Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Just a Cessna 150 at present -haven't flown for about ten years, so getting back current. Luckily my company are picking up the bill and also sponsoring me for my Instrument Rating which will take me a couple of years. Flying up here around the Pacific Northwest is spectacular - Puget Sound, the Cascade and Olympic mountains, the ocean shore and hundreds of islands - many with landing strips. And Vancouver is only about an hour away, and north of that it is God's country - beautiful British Columbia - all the way to Alaska. It is also fantastic floatplane country, and there are hundreds of them around here - specially the old de Havilland beavers with their enormous radial engines. As soon as I get back current, I'm going to go for my floatplane rating. And as time and funds permit, I'm working on my 1962 Piper Colt which will be our touring aircraft for weekends.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

News from Peter Stubberfield today - currently refitting the exhaust manifold on his 1929 tourer VF 6700 after finding it to be warped.

Here's what he is working on at the moment - I'd love to test drive this along the M27!

http://www.ricardo.com/en-gb/Engineerin ... t-project/
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Answered a ton of VMR e-mails today - including one from Sue Woodward - currently posted with her husband Richard to a NATO appointment in Norway. They are leaving soon, not back to the UK to take the reins of BR 8606 again, but to Sierra Leone for two years - a little known outpost of vintage motoring.

Spent the rest of the day monitoring the UK election blog on the Telegraph site - we live in interesting times...

Couple of pints of Fullers' ESB at the Three Lions lunchtime - in Redmond, WA. Watched Burnley thrash Spurs.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Just got back from a swift pint of Fullers ESB in the Three Lions in Redmond at lunchtime where I was browsing the Brooklands 60th Anniversary programme I recently bought, because KR 5670 was there. I was amused to see that the period aerial photograph of the track at the front of the programme was printed upside down. It was also interesting to see that my old 1924 UNIC attended. The programme also reported that the closing stages of Le Mans would be relayed live over the PA system, courtesy of the B.B.C.

The forum seems quiet this week - is anyone esle doing anything worth talking about - or is this post-election burn-out? :D
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Looking around this morning for something inexpensive to fill the other 18' of the 40' container. Seems a waste to pay for shipping than much fresh air.

Here's a possibility.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mirror-Dinghy-Exc ... 2c5496fbcb
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... ation.html

Does anyone remember the All Our Yesterdays series on BBC back in the sixties - it looked back at wartime events 25 years earlier.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

So I just went down the pub for lunch - the Three Lions in Redmond. Couple of pints of Fullers and a Stilton burger. (It's the Memorial Day weekend here this weekend, so a four day weekend.)

http://www.thethreelionspub.com/thethreelionspub.htm

Interesting piece on the TV. This black dude, Kome Bryant (plays for the Los Angeles Lakers in National Basketball) - jumping over an Aston Martin. So they run an experiment to see if someone can jump over a car coming straight at them. They do all the science and timing, then do some dry runs with him jumping as the car speeds past him to the side and filming him and the car from the side to see if he would have cleared the car IF he had been standing right in front of it. After several failures, they get the timing right - distance between him and the car, the car's speed (looked like about 45 mph), his reaction time, etc. Once things looked good - they did it for real - and it worked.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/fab7df ... ithvictory

Real or fake? Apparently this is a viral hyperdunk something or other. Beats me. :? I'd like to see Jeremy Clarkson do this. Anyone want to try it with an M Type? :D :D :D