KR 5670

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Highlander

Re: KR 5670

Post by Highlander »

Ian, Yes I will, Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thanks Alister.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Does anyone have contact details for Mike Worthington-Williams? With the passing of Harry Edwards, who was the DVLA rep. for Morris cars, and was about to start the process of re-registerting KR 5670, I think Mike will be able to help with the recovery of the registration. Thanks!
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

Ian

His contact telephone number is +44 (0) 12 3971 1486

Not sure of his address in Wales.

Tony G
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thanks Tony, I'll give him a call and let you know how I get on.
Tony Gamble

Post by Tony Gamble »

Ian

That would be great. I shall need to contact him soon , myself. Do you know exactly what he requires for verification ?

Obviously your KR 5670 is virtually as good as proven , but what might be the minimum details he would require ?

Tony G
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Tony,

Here's what Harry sent me:

"As briefly as I can I'll explain the "765" system.

The owner claiming the return of a registration number has to be applying from a UK address.

You need the original old type "log book" which, of course, confirms the original chassis number and the registration number. This is generally the only document that actually ties the chassis number to the registration number.

It is helpful, but not necessary, to have an old tax disc.

Any document you wish to submit must be the original, OR the DVLA will accept photocopies that have been copied by a DVLA office, but not by you or I. Such copies are then stamped by the DVLA office to say that they have seen the originals.

You require to obtain the application form "V765" from the DVLA.

You require to obtain a form "V55/5", this one either from the DVLA or from a post office that handles the issue of the "Road Tax" disc,

It is often helpful if you can supply a copy of the Production Record Certificate from Gaydon.

You are required to supply a current photograph of the vehicle as a "complete entity "(the DVLA wording).

Having filled in all the details/forms etc you then send the forms to the appropriate Club official who is designated by the DVLA. He or she then confirms the car model dating etc and signs the V765 form. In addition to that the owner of the car has to get someone ,who is not the owner or the Club official, to fill in an inspection form confirming such data as chassis/ model as correct to description Such inspection form is supplied by the Club official.

You send all the details/forms etc to the Club official designated by the DVLA to deal with cars covered by the club. In the case of all pre-war Morris models, except Bullnose and Flatnose models, you will find that I am designated as the person to deal with the pre-war Morris except as mentioned above. For Bullnose and Flatnose models (1913 to 1931) the Bullnose Morris Club official handles the V765 requests.

As for the time factor that is in the hands of the DVLA at Swansea. Assuming no queries a couple of weeks, one hopes."
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I tried to call M W-W but his line was engaged. However, I did find his contact details on the Automobile website at http://theautomobile.co.uk/contact-us.html, so I have e-mailed him with images of the car, the McEvoy and also the Thing from the Deep, which I feel quite confident will interest him.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Swift and encouraging reply from M W-W this morning:

"Dear Ian
I will be pleased to help. Yes I had heard the sad news about poor old Harry Edwards. The fee for number recoveries is thirty pounds (cheque payable to me please). I am at The Old Schoolhouse, Cenarth, Newcastle Emlyn, Carmarthenshire SA38 9JL. I wait to hear. Best Mike WW"
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Paperwork sent off to Mike this morning - fingers crossed. 8)
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Time for a quick update. Mike Worthington-Williams posted off all the paperwork to the DVLA on 10th December and the process is supposed to take 10 to 14 days. The car is being registered in Bev Hicks' name, since the keeper has to be a UK resident. I just checked the DVLA website this morning, but KR 5670 is still shown as unregistered, but I'm not sure how quickly the online database gets updated with new registrations. Hopefully, Bev will receive the new V5C in the next few days.

I'm currently shooting for 11th February as a shipping date for KR and the McEvoy to Seattle. Eric Mouser has also kindly offered to trail my Mirror dinghy (now christened 'Queen Mary Too'!) up to Colnbrook from Newbury and I am hopeful that the container will arrive at VMR HQ by the end of February. With any luck, I'll be able to have KR running for the spring/summer. There is a set of Blockleys in the container for it, but as for restoration, the initial plan is to paint NOTHING - not even the wheels. Of course, I'll go through the mechanics/electrics to make it drivable and give it a thorough but sympathetic clean, but other than that, I think I'm going to try to preserve rather than restore.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Update - DVLA has sent back the old logbook, and photos, etc. with a letter stating that the new V5C will follow 'shortly'. M W-W tells me "DVLA are currently dealing with the backlog which built up over the Christmas holiday recess, and illness is widespread at the moment so it's likely that DVLA are short staffed."

So fingers crossed that the new V5c will appear shortly as it will be required for processing the container through the Port of Seattle.

I'm waiting for brokerage/tax/duty estimates for the container's contents (the fabric saloon, the McEvoy, the Mirror dinghy and Seagull outboard, three sets of new Blockleys, two new prop shafts, two new battery boxes, plus several boxes of spares) before committing to a shipping date from Colnbrook.

I have also just received the V5 for the McEvoy and this now has to be processed into my name by DVLA. Once I have V5's for both cars in my name and costs agreed this end, then I will give the green light to the shippers - hopefully in about three weeks from now.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Still no V5C, and the DVLA website is still reporting no record of KR 5670, so I will have to get Mike W-W to chase his contact at DVLA.

The container departs Sounthampton Friday week and is due in to the Port of Seattle Saturday 17th April, so should go through customs on Sunday and be delivered on Monday 19th. I was planning to unload it at my house, but I'd need some pretty massive ramps and plenty of spare hands to manhandle the two cars down to road level from the back of the truck. But today I noticed that the office block next to mine here in Redmond is not only vacant but has an unloading dock and ramp which will be perfect for the unloading - so problem solved - I will rent a car trailer and ferry the two cars and the Mirror to the house from here.

So that just leaves the shipping paperwork to sort out - which is a total nightmare. No surprises there. :o
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Mike W-W checked with DVLA. He reports:

"Have spoken to my DVLA contact. It seems the wretched operator pressed the button to send the letter confirming that the case had been agreed, but then forgot to press the button which issued the V5c. They are doing it today."

What can I say? :?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Container being loaded at Colnbrook tomorrow with KR 5670 and the McEvoy NV 2803, then roaded to Southampton. The Kobe Express left New York over the weekend and is currrently in Halifax, Nova Scotia before heading for Southampton.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/defaul ... y=44.66659