KR 5670

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: KR 5670

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Philip,

Almost. Paul Beck does one with the right thread - but it is just a tap, so I wouldn't have the reserve option. But if it delivers fuel and can be shut without leaking, I can live with that limitation!

I'll order one tomorrow, so I'll have everything I need to get mobile in a week or two.

Once I have it driving, the real fun will begin!

Ian
plj

Post by plj »

Ian, Do you know offhand what thread is used into the tank? Is it BSP? I have found a m/cycle tap on e-bay which is ethanol proof and has on/off and reserve capabilities. It is also reasonably priced at GBP 12.

Regards,

Philip
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Philip,

Yes, it is definitely BSP.

Ian
plj

Post by plj »

Ian,
Don't think it is BSP, have taken my one out and measured it, major dia. 0.872, TPI 20, angle 55 deg. The only suitable thread appears to be a very rare 7/8" UNEF.
Unfortunately I have gone ahead and purchased a very period looking tap with reserve, filter and ethanol proof, also an adaptor for 1/2" to 1/4" BSP as it is 1/4" BSP either end, now I have to look for plan B to make it fit.

Regards,

Philip

p.s. What is the thread on the one you are going to buy?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Philip,

I just ordered a 1/4" BSP tap from Paul Beck which I hope is going to screw right in - wish me luck! I'm pretty sure the original tank took a 1/2" BSP tap.

Ian
plj

Post by plj »

Ian,

Original tap soldered up, presumably because of leaks, new tap beside it 1/4" BSP both ends, you can see the difference in size and also pitch of threads. I am now trying to find a 7/8" UNEF bolt that I can drill out and tap 1/4" BSP to make an adaptor, failing that I will have to cut and drill the original tap and thread it 1/4" BSP.
Anyone else have ideas on this?

Regards,
Attachments
minor & M8 005.jpg
minor & M8 005.jpg (139.1 KiB) Viewed 3566 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Frustration.

The second fuel tap arrived - thread too small this time!

And to add insult to injury I've been waiting for a big package of spares - all the engine, hub and brake parts to get the car running - ordered in February and I just found out it was DHL'd to our house in Michigan which we left four years ago. Luckily, on enquiry, our renter tells me that he has the package and is forwarding it. So now I just need the rain to stop, sort ANOTHER fuel tap and I might get the old girl running and driving this spring.
plj

Post by plj »

Ian,
All the fuel taps I've seen have been 1/4" BSP threads, fortunately for me a very kind chap has volunteered to turn me up an adaptor on his lathe.

Regards,

Philip
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I'll have to have a serious tap sort out this weekend!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

This just in from Alister Reid:

"Ian, Are still the custodian of this Minor Saloon? I am clearing out my old magazines and found a Brooklands Race Card mag 1967 and a newspaper cutting from Surrey Advertiser and your Minor is mentioned and photographed"

KR 5670 was present at the Brooklands 60th Anniversary meet in 1967 and still sports the rally plaque on the dash, so I'll be excited to see these references/photos.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Parts arrived. Water jacket side plates, gaskets and bolts, hub felt seals, rear hub paper gaskets, brake cams and bushes, brake shoe return springs, radiator hoses and Nestill clips. So most bits I need to make it go and make it stop! Just need a dry weekend now to be able to roll it out of the garage and get cracking.
halbe

Post by halbe »

More pictures and you tube please :)
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Will do! I just sent my original (but non-standard) fuel tap to Paul Beck to see if he can match it with a new one. I'll also be collecting up the 8 brake shoes this week and shipping them to Vintage Frictions for re-lining.

The other thing I'll need to do before long is re-wire the igniton circuit. At the moment, the voltage isn't getting past the ignition swith, so I have a wire direct from the battery to the coil!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Just stripped out all the brakes today. Armed with new brake cams, bushes, springs, etc. turned out I didn't need any new parts except a couple of springs (there always seems to be one or two that have a stretched coil).

The goal of the day was to get all eight shoes ready to send to Vintage Frictions for reclining, but again they don't need relining. They just need soaking in petrol to de-grease them - particularly the rear ones.

Couple of observations. First, the linings which are almost certainly factory originals are of the woven type with brass threads interwoven. They are riveted on with solid alloy rivets.

Second, both rear drums are fitted with anti-squeak bands. I have seen high-res images of factory prototypes and demonstrators, and all seem to be similarly fitted. It is tempting to think therefore that all Minors left the works do fitted. Any thoughts? And if so, why only the fears? Presumably because they worked harder than the fronts?

As for the surplus new parts, they will now be allocated to the McEvoy which is to have its hydraulic brake mod. Replaced with original cable brakes.
plj

Post by plj »

Surely it's the front brakes that work the hardest Ian, weight transfer under braking etc That's the reason that moderns have limiting valves fitted to the rears to prevent locking.