KR 5670

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: KR 5670

Post by Ian Grace »

Container arrived safely and unloaded. All present and correct, plus boxes of stuff I never knew I had! It will take some time to ferry everything back about 35 miles to VMR HQ tonight and then to unpack it all. Should be an interesting weekend.

None of the tyres on either car would pump up, so a bit of pushing and shoving will be called for.

Photos to follow.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

A bit of pushing and shoving turned out to be the understatement of the year. It took me more than an hour to get the fabric saloon up onto the trailer single handed with a ratchet hand winch a couple of feet at a time. Flat tyres are a SOD! Finally got it home, unloaded and in the garage about 10-30 tonight, so the McEvoy was left for tomorrow.

I had a chance to take a quick look at her - lots of surface rust on everything, but the ash frame is amazing - the door shuts are perfect and there is even no wear in the door locks - they feel like new. Inside there was an original OHC radiator muff and most of the original tools under the driver's seat.

I must say that the McEvoy looks VERY sporty now that it is out in daylight. I can't wait to drive it!

I haven't had a chance to go through the boxes of spares yet, but I did spot an M Type Rotax panel I didn't know I had!

Much more anon. Now for a stiff drink. 8)

KartikeyaL

Post by KartikeyaL »

simply awesome !!

Keep updating and more pictures please.
halbe

Post by halbe »

Congratulations !

More pictures please

Halbe
Toby

Post by Toby »

Isn't it lovely to rummage through a box of rusty rubbish and come across something not broken and useful.... :D
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Even lovelier when that box is forty feet long and you find a couple of complete cars among the rubbish. :D
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Well, this car is incredible. I have just spent a couple of hours gently removing decades of grime. Unfortunately, some well-meaning but misguided soul at some point decided to do the same, but gave the fabric a cursory wet wipe over and the dirt dried in smears and swirls which are extremely difficult to remove without damaging the fabric. The black fabric is fine, it is the mustard yellow superstructure that is being very tricky, but is responding slowly.

I have also had a chance to take a close look at it. The first thing I noticed were how stiff the door locks and door hinges are. Then I noticed the door shots are perfect and the doors slam perfectly. The pedals have no wear on them, and I mean NO wear. The bonnet catch pins show no evidence of wear whatsoever where the catch fits. I doubt if the bonnet has actually been opened many times. The aluminium door thresholds still retain their original shine. As I went through it I am drawn to the conclusion that the mileage on the speedometer is correct - 4,016 miles. This may explain why a middle-aged housewife from Surrey could drive it to Italy and back without a single problem and pick up a prestigious concours award in the process.

You know the cup that is riveted to the underside of the fuel filler cap? It has disintegrated - not by rusting it seems but by the concentrated and corrosive fumes of the decaying fuel.

I can't really put it into words, but this car has an almost ghostly feel about it, as if it has just driven off a thirties London street and into my Seattle garage. The fabric can only be described as perfect. Every stitch is original and in as-new condition. Apart from a lot of surface rust, years of dust and dirt, and aging of some parts - like the head lining and the yellowing glass, it is to all intents a new car. So much so that I don't think I have seen or know of any other fabric-bodied vintage car anywhere in the world with the fabric in such original condition. I don't think any of us quite realised what was sitting on a trailer in front of us when the car was brought to VMR Prescott in 2005.

Of course, this raises a huge question - what to do with it! At the moment, I am just cleaning it while I ponder the question.

I'll post more photos tomorrow.

As for the McEvoy, I have also started to clean that out. Unfortunately, although it has been off the road for about 20 years more than the fabric saloon, it has suffered much more severely from poor storage, with ivy growing up through the floor boards. Both rear seat foot wells were filled about 2" deep with hundreds of snail shells. I think the back seat has been home at some point to French mice!
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Sounds great Ian,.... i reckon you should go through it, check and grease everything, replace a few obvious bits, inc fabric couplings.... and then use it............ however, that said, you wouldn;t want to ruin it by putting too many miles on it......... if it went to italy and back, it didn;t seemingly do too much more if you reckon the mileage is correct!!!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I'll try to get it out in the daylight tomorrow if the weather co-operates and get some photos. I just discovered a weird cylinder and knob on the steering column - it is some sort of vacuum control for the single dipping nearside headlight. Never seen anything like it. Both doors have tiny key door locks fitted under the door catches. It has a new coil fitted, which I will replace with an original.

I also see that it has the original ignition wires, plugs and all four tiny spring attachment clips that it came out of Cowley with. Never even seen an original before. The brass cap on top of the carb. has never seen a screwdriver. The hole in the front valence is perfect - not sure if the starting handle has ever been used. I have the original handle and that looks unused too. The closer I look, the more I am amazed.

Oddly, although the brake and clutch pedals are like new, the throttle pedal is extremely worn - so I presume this is a replacement at some point.

I think you are right - some sort of stealth re-commissioning would be best. I am willing to put up with patches of surface rust and the odd ding on the wings, but don't want to put a lick of new paint anywhere if possible.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Here's the ignition side of the engine. Everything in this photo is as it left Cowley.

Ken Martin

Post by Ken Martin »

Ian
My MM has the Lucas pneumatic dipping system your mention and it works – it mechanically dips the near side light and turns out the offside light. MM lights don’t trouble modern motorists generally though.
Ken
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Ian, We have talked on this forum many time and you know my view on what you should do with the saloon - use it!! Go through all you flight checks and I am sure it will run well. How do you clean old fabric? Does Connelly's leather cleaner work? Warm water with old fashioned soap used to be the answer. I wish I had bought it when I had the chance!!!! Good luck and Happy Motoring. Highlander.
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Doesn;t even look like the plugs have ever been out Ian.......!! not many cars get to be found in the same state as they left the factory, you best take a few hundred pictures for future reference.....!!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Ken,

Thanks for the info about the dipper. I'll try to get a photo and post it - not too easy as the car is effectively immobile until I can get the new Blockleys on it, so I can't roll it out into daylight.

As for what to do with it, I will definitely take a CD full of reference photos. I will keep a detailed diary of everything I do to the car, along with photos of every job plus keeping a record of everything that is replaced - down to the last split pin, so there will always be a complete record that traces back to the factory-fitted components. Rule number 2 will be - no new paint - anywhere. I'll see if I can get some more interesting photos this afternoon and post them. Rule 3 - convert surface rust with a suitable rust-killing chemical to stabilize the bare steel surfaces. Can anyone recommend such a chemical? I once saw a 'time capsule' Austin Chummy which had lost all the paint of its body and someone had killed the rust in similar fashion. The car retained its feeling of age but the rust was killed and the panels stabilized.

And Alister, yes I do absolutely intend to use it - perhaps not a vast amount as the roads around here are not really suitable - I live about half a mile off State Highway 2 which is one of only two roads that pass over the Cascade Mountains to the rest of the US, so is extremely busy. But I want to get a trailer and take it up for weekends to the San Juan Islands (Google them - they are gorgeous) which are criss-crossed with superb country lanes with views across to Canada and Puget Sound.

But I will try not to get it too wet, and not leave in in blazing sun which would further embrittle the fabric. Looking under the wheel arches arches, they are clean and pristine!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Photos:

Interesting signwriting on the spare wheel.

The driver's side interior showing the horn ring and the Lucas dipping mechanism.

Passenger side showing clock, rally plaques from the sixties and the original carpets.

The cam shows signs of corrosion pitting on the lobes, but no wear. Note the original wiring and replacement horn.

Nearside engine compartment showing pristine firewall.

The state of the running gear.

The rear seats showing the deteriorated but original headlining.