Rear wheel bearings

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

vonjono

Rear wheel bearings

Post by vonjono »

Dear All,
My 32 minor failed the mot as one rear wheel wobbles a bit (to much play in a bearing I believe)
Can anyone direct me to a diagram that shows how the bearing set up should look as I've tinkered and can't see how I nip the blighter up.
The hub also seems to move around (back & forward) too much and if I pull on it quite hard it seems to sit better on the bearing I can see on the outer side which makes me think that there may be something amiss further in.

Kind Regards

Jon
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Rear wheel bearings

Post by Ian Grace »

Jon,

In haste between meetings. Have you got the steel cup washer and felt seal in there behind the bearing carrier? Presume you have the tab washer for the nut?
vonjono

Post by vonjono »

Hi Ian,

Thx for your thoughts - to be honest I'm not sure - i need to take it all apart and have a good old look - it's just not the same as other bearing assemblies I've looked at

I'll investigate further and post again if I'm puzzled

Kindest Regards,

Jon
Toby

Post by Toby »

This has been covered before, i think. there is just one bearing, non adjustable. the bearing is pressed into the hub and has a felt washer behind it and a locking tab washer in front with a nut to hold the hub on. Due to the leverage on the half shaft there is usually a bit of play but also the hubs wear if the bearing has spun or been changed a lot! I had to replace my hubs as the play was between bearing and hub as well as bearing! Late minors appear to have a lip seal machined into the hub behind the bearing instead of the felt seal on the axle. Tab washers and felt seals available from sports and vintage, bearings available most places especially bearing suppliers such as Brammers. (plus lip seal if fitted)
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

If the other side is OK copy that. What Toby has written is correct. I had the same trouble. Highlander.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Jon, see the posting on rear axle that I have revived for you...
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
vonjono

Post by vonjono »

Thankyou ever so much for all your help,

It seems that the bearing was moving around inside the hub ie I could (when the wheel is off the ground) push the wheel in then wobble it about, if I pulled upon the wheel things got better.

An engineer friend is putting it back together with some shims to eliminate this 'float' - so I'm hoping I've got it cracked.

Best regards to you all & thanks for your wisdom.

Jon