Can Anyone Identify a Jarvis-Bodied M-Type MG

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

rmburnett

Can Anyone Identify a Jarvis-Bodied M-Type MG

Post by rmburnett »

The following request for help was posted to the North American Triple-M Register. I thought someone in our forum might be able to help. The car is undoubtedly an M-Type but, with a Jarvis body, it was unlikely to have a boat tail. Message follows:

"I have a friend that asked me if anyone would know about a particular car he had helped restore umpteen years ago. It was a Jarvis Midget based on a 1930s MG chassis and running gear.

Because of time passed he can't remember if it was a four cylinder engine or six., nor remember the aluminum body style exactly, but thinks it had a boat tail.

This took place in the Los Angeles, California area about the mid '60's. In '67 he was transferred to New York so does not know how far the restoration got. The owner of the Jarvis Midget has long since died so cannot refer back to him, but the owner was Hugh Sutherland.

The Jarvis Midget is a new one on me but if anyone has info on this model and in particular, know of the one once owned by Hugh, my friend would be most grateful. It is a long shot we know but if any group would have a clue, my bet is on the knowledgeable TABCers.

Thanks,
David Edgar, TC 5108
El Cajon, California
djedgar@pacbell.net"
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Can Anyone Identify a Jarvis-Bodied M-Type MG

Post by Ian Grace »

Good morning from Seattle Roger,

A quick check of the Chassis Register in the Members' Area will bring up GP 1856 (2M/3044) as the only known Jarvis M in captivity, and the data is hyperlinked to the image below which was taken at a VMR Prewscott. It has been owned for some time by the Bayne-Powell family - well known in MMM circles, of course. Whether this car was re-imported from the US or not I do not know. As you can see, it has a close-coupled 2+2 'Le Mans' style body very similar to the McEvoy. Jeremy Bayne-Powell is the current custodian and I do have contact details.

Would you please pass this information along to David along with my e-mail address.

Cheers,

Ian
Sam Christie

Re: Can Anyone Identify a Jarvis-Bodied M-Type MG

Post by Sam Christie »

A couple of pictures of a prototype from the period -

Perhaps not quite as nice as the Bayne-Powell example which looks more refined.