Clutch noise

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Clutch noise

Post by Ian Grace »

Does anyone have any experience of clutch noise when the clutch is disengaged, which disappears when the clutch is depressed? The noise is coming from the back of the engine - could it be a crankshaft end float issue? :?
ian judd

Re: Clutch noise

Post by ian judd »

If it's a kind of hissing sound then I've got it too. I had a quick look this morning and I reckon it's probably just clutch wear. I think as it wears, the sprung plate moves backwards so pushing the levers back towards the thrust race. I believe one of the levers is just touching the thrust -- when the pedal is pressed the noise goes away. There is still a gap between the levers and the thrust but less than I expected. I will adjust it tomorrow and see if I'm right. It isn't a job I look forward to!

Cheers,
Ian
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

You could be right Ian - in this case, the clutch is new, but it is possible that one of the levers is slightly out of adjustment and just picking up on the thrust bearing cover as it whangs around just in front of it. It might also be that something is prerventing the clutch pedal from fully coming up when not in use.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Has been suggested that it might be a loose flywheel - makes sense. The odd thing is that the car has been sitting idle for two years, and was perfectly fine when it last run. :?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Gearbox now removed, and it turns out that the problem is a gearbox failure. :o Can anyone suggest a gearbox rebuilder - Kent or environs?
mike houston

Post by mike houston »

Ian,
You could try Stephen Nichols at Rotherfield Gearboxes, on the East Sussex/Kent border. He's a one man show but seems to have long experience of every type of box. His workshop is a complete shambles with parts from floor to ceiling, but he seems to get the job done! He is at Forge Garage Annexe, High Street, Rotherfield, East Sussex, TN6 3LN. Work phone:- 01892 853004, mob:- 07885 211814
Regards,
Mike Houston.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thanks Mike, I have passed this along. It turns out that the gearbox was bone dry, so hopefully, the damage is confined to bearings.

Ian