Track rod and drag link ends

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Terry Synnott

Re: Track rod and drag link ends

Post by Terry Synnott »

The photograph that Ian was referring to is on page 19 of M104. The shape in the form of a slightly waisted figure of 8 can be seen. Mine are not quite as bad as the one shown and probably would not come out but they are getting there. Has anyone attempted a repair on these?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Yup - here it is:

And here's the supporting text:

Now, a word of warning regarding track rod ends. There was an incident at a recent VSCC rally with an ‘M’ Type MG, which highlights a potentially dangerous defect that can develop in our cars. On negotiating a left-hand bend, the ‘M’ continued in a straight line, burying itself in the verge on the wrong side of the road. Mercifully, there was no oncoming traffic at that moment. Upon inspection, it was discovered that a track rod end ball had popped out of the track rod end. This is normally rendered impossible by virtue of the keyhole-shaped slot in the track rod end housing. However, seventy years of wear had opened up the narrow end of this keyhole slot to the point where only the spring tension on the track rod end ball cups was holding the ball in the joint. A bump in the road then deranged the ball. A quick check of your track rod ends would therefore seem prudent next time you are under your car.
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

When I put my car back on the road I suffered from horrible steering for quite some time. I eventually discovered that the track rod end at the outside of the drag-link - which I had adjusted - had loosened. The screw-in part was coming up against a burr inside before it could press hard on the ball. I had screwed it in to that point and then turned it back 1/4 of a turn to make things worse. It pays to check everything! It was difficult to keep the car in a straight line because of the springiness in the steering.
Every once in a while I jack up the front axle and see if I can push the wheels apart. Any movement is too much. The tendency for the wheels to try and toe-out when moving ( due to negative camber ) easily overcomes the little springs in the track-rod ends.

Cheers
Ian
Trevor Wilkinson

Post by Trevor Wilkinson »

Image Minors only have positive camber.
ian judd

Post by ian judd »

Oops! Quite so!

Ian
Toby

Post by Toby »

Trevor, it's been a problem on and off since 1982 and as far as I know no mot tester has ever picked anything up as loose but of course if new brake springs, newly trued drums and more leading edge on the shoes doesn't cure it then I will resort to slackening off cables and checking rear axle. The trouble is that when it occurs I am not in a position to test and once fettled it will drive faultlessly until... I swear these cars have some form of inteligence... Halbe-now I must be losing it :lol:
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
mike houston

Post by mike houston »

Terry Synott and I compared track rod ends last week end, and decided that both sets had a fair amount of wear. What is difficult though is judging how much is acceptable! To err on the side of safety I obtained a pair from S&V, shown in the attached picture for comparison. Hope this helps.Regards to all,Mike.
Attachments
note the straight sides!
note the straight sides!
General pics 006.jpg (55.92 KiB) Viewed 3218 times
Terry Synnott

Post by Terry Synnott »

If this is a new one from S&V then it isn't a keyhole shape is it. Mike, any chance of you reporting the dimensions of the oval?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

From the picture of the original ones up above, it looks like there were two overlapping circular holes - one slightly bigger than the other - drilled in the barrel to produce the keyhole effect. Seems to make manufacturing sense. The larger one needs to be just bigger than the ball, so it can be fitted, and the other one smaller, but big enough to give good clearance to the neck of the ball.
mike houston

Post by mike houston »

Its difficult to be completely accurate with the dimensions with the pin in the way, (and no desire to take it apart!). However the length appears to be 0.975", the wider width, 0.675", tapering down to 0.6". Hope this helps,
Mike.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Any tips on setting tracking? Manual quotes setting 1/16" narrower to rear of front wheel rim than front edge at axle level but that you should take it to your morris dealer for it to be done accurately. Paint or worn rims would easily give that variation alone!!! would a plank at axle height along the tyres be better? :?
Trevor Wilkinson

Toby, are you sure of that? I have checked in my manuals, ('31 '34 and Harry Edwards ) all state that wheels should toe in by 1/8" . That is narrower at the front.
Best checked by measuring at the same point on the rim to rule out dents/out of true wheels etc. That is the setting I use for road work!
I've included a photo showing the professional equipment I use!!! :?

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Toe in is definitely correct. Apart from steering wander, you will very quickly notice if it is out of ajustment by the feathering of the tread blocks on your front tyres.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Trevor, where can i buy one of those :lol:
Trevor Wilkinson

Toby, would you believe it is home made?? :lol: