supercharged side valve engine

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

evosteve

supercharged side valve engine

Post by evosteve »

Hi i was just interested to see if any one knows of anybody or any kits that used to be fitted to the side valve engine to super charge them as i would be interested in trying to super charge one but the only one i can find is the one morris built for the record atempt !!
any info would be greatly appreciated
cheers steve :twisted:
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

McEvoy offered a blown version of his Model 70 with Zoller supercharger. These are rare itmes and not particularly reliable. These are the only other blown SV Minors that I know of. Who knows more?
evosteve

Post by evosteve »

hi ian were they fitted in front of the engine ?? does any one have any pictures of one installed or no of any in exsistance ?
cheers steve
ashford

Side Valve Superchargers

Post by ashford »

I've been interested in superchargin sv. engines also.

The Record Breaking car used a vertically mounted powerplus supercharger driven from a bevel drive provided on a modified timing case.

When this car was rebuilt by Carl Skinner in 1933 and was fitted with a zoller supercharger blowing at 24psi.

Atleast one of the sullivan specials was supercharged. The 1933 TT car was fitted with a cozette supercharger.

The 1934 White Minor Skinner Special may also have been supercharged?

I have a 1930's marshal 75 which I've wondered about using but I haven't heard of any morris fitted with one of these units.

David Baldock has recently rebuilt this white minor. Sadly I missed seeing it at one of the minor rallies. I've been told that he has used a morris marine engine block as they are stronger. The record breaking / skinner car used special steels in the engine block castings but as far as I know the sullivans used standard blocks. There's a morris 8 marine engine on ebay at the moment. Does anyone Know anything about the minor marine engines - if in fact they exist?
evosteve

Post by evosteve »

hi does any one no if the record breaking engine still exsists ? as the car now has a bigger engine fitted !!!!
i think if u was going to do it yourself u would have to try to do the belt drive option as making a bevel drive on the front sounds like a lot of expense unless u can use some parts off the ohc engine to fit !
cheers steve
ashford

Sv supercharging

Post by ashford »

A picture of the single seater sullivan shows a bulge in the front apron between the dumb ions for a supercharger - like an Mg or the Mcevoys.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Morris did have a marinized version of the SV Minor engine - I have bought SV head gaskets from chandlers in the past.

Yes, the White Minor's original engine survives in the hands of a relative - who won't sell it to David for sentimental reasons. I believe there is a blower with it. All the special steel blocks cracked eventually and there are none left.

Annabelle Swain, daughter of Barbara Skinner, is an Honorary Member of the VMR.