stainless steel exhausts

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Toby

stainless steel exhausts

Post by Toby »

I am trying to get prices for stainless sv exhaust systems. It may be advantageous to have a batch made, bearing in mind a mid steel one costs around £120.00 and a stainless 8 system was around £180.00 6 or 7 years ago, is anyone interested? an idea of numbers would be helpful to bargain with the manufacturers... Post here or email themings@yahoo.co.uk with exhaust as the subject. Alternatively does anyone know of good manufacturers in the southern area? (to avoid carriage) I can't believe that in the last 5 years none of us has needed an exhaust, it must mean a lot of cars out there will need one in the next few years? :?
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ronald

Re: stainless steel exhausts

Post by Ronald »

Toby, it is a very simple system, the thing that will stump you is the silencer... if you want the original conical design....... give maniflow in salisbury a call....... their forte is race systems, but its worth a call!!
Toby

Post by Toby »

I know it's a simple pipe but it's the bend AND the silencer! :lol: I know you made your own but i dont weld and it must be easier to get it bent than to cut and weld. Maniflow are on my list to call as they have been recommended to me already.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I had a batch made years ago by an exhaust centre in Bath. They had the ability to bend pipe. Incidentally, I seem to recall that the bend needs to be slightly more than 90 degrees!

At the manifold, you can either do the original 'top hat' thing with a separate circular gasket and clamping ring, or simply weld on a flange with two bolt holes. Remembeer that all the Minors had a recess in their manifolds for that circular gasket except for the 1934 season cars that used a more conventional flange and matching oval gasket. And the spacing of the bolt holes is wider for the M Type manifold.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Hmmm, might stick to sv then, as I coulduse one of mine as a pattern! Ian, you have answered a question that i pondered after putting manifolds into the summer auction and noting the difference! Neither of my 32 minors have the ring seal-both have the flat gasket.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

So both your cars have '34 season manifolds fitted. :D
Toby

Post by Toby »

I have a price of £180.00 for a complete sv exhaust less transit costs, subject to supplying a pattern, this would exclude the plate that bolts to the manifold but these are available if they are a "standard" size. My exhausts appear to have an oval gasket the same size as the plate that bolts onto the manifold regardless of whether they originally had the ring gasket in a recess or not. As my cars are on the road, does anyone have a spare pattern exhaust? I could get one made, test it on my car, then order more if it fits....
Mike Stubbings

Post by Mike Stubbings »

Hi Toby, I did put a drawing of the silencer on the forum earlier as some one else asked for it, I would think it is still on there. Mike
Toby

Post by Toby »

Thanks Mike. The silencer is probably not the problem as there are many types made, the problem is the pipe bend and mountings/connections. When I have dealt with the deluge of interest I will check what the silencer will look like as all the systems I have found so far have a can with square ends!
Frank van Voorst

Post by Frank van Voorst »

I would be interested in an exhaust.

Frank
Jpallis001

Post by Jpallis001 »

Did anyone manage to find the correct angle + position of the first bend? - my best estimate is 95 degree (flowing towards the rear of the car), with the distance from the manifold flange to the centre line of the horizontal run being 13.5". Unfortunately I do not have the steering box in place, the bend looks like it will be close to the steering linkages? Anyone able to check the 13.5" drop for me? (SV engine)
Toby

Post by Toby »

I have an ageing exhaust on the tourer that was to be a pattern for the bend, I have had some divine inspiration for a supplier that might help with the problem of the silencer not having flat ends.... Will measure exhaust for you.
Toby

Post by Toby »

I have finally found someone who could make one from a pattern without trailering the car to them and also could be bothered to reply to me! Alldens exhausts (tube engineers ltd) in Market Rasen. £202 including carriage, hand made. Conical silencer, Lovely! :D email mike@tubeengineers.co.uk or phone 01673 862286. Mike Grebenik is the boss
Attachments
DSCN0953.JPG
DSCN0953.JPG (213.41 KiB) Viewed 3906 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Now that looks like beautiful work and a great deal! Can we get them to supply OHC ones too - the front pipe is longer by several inches. I have the dimensions somewhere in my archives, but it might be quicker for me to measure the one on my fabric saloon. They should also be good for M Types?