Drive It Day, Sunday 25th April

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Drive It Day, Sunday 25th April

Post by Ian Grace »

We organize our spring pub meets to coincide with the FBHVC's Drive It Day, but of course the pubs are only reachable by a small proportion of our UK members. So it would be good if we could encourage the owners, regardless of their geographical location, to get their cars out and take then for a run - perhaps to their local. I'd be delighted to publish a gallery of photos of members' cars out and about on that day - regardless of their location.

So is there anyone out there who can't get to one of our pub meets, but who would be interested in taking their car for a run on April 25th and sending in a photo or two? As an incentive, the best photo taken on the day will be used on the Summer Magazine front cover. And bonus points will be award for overseas contributions, or if two or more members actually meet up somewhere - anywhere - with their cars!

Any other ideas as to how we might encourage more of our cars out on that day?

Incidentally, we are expecting the largest ever gathering at the Hatchgate on that day - more details anon.
DF9053

Re: Drive It Day, Sunday 25th April

Post by DF9053 »

For those in Wales there is a run planned to Brecon Beacons Mountain Centre all welcome. The idea is to meet there around midday for lunch and chat. This is being organised by John Rogers (Swansea) who has a sv Minor saloon.

I hope to get there even though it is the day after the VSCC Spring Start at Silverstone.

cheers
Jeremy
Toby

Post by Toby »

See spring pub meets for details of your local vmr drive it day event! :D
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Toby

Post by Toby »

Toby

Post by Toby »

here's a review, sounds good...
Attractive whitewashed village pub with low beams and inglenook (log-effect gas fire), good value home-made food from baked potatoes up, real ales, fr ...‎

http://www.goodguides.co.uk/pubs/pubdetails.asp?pub_id...
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

You're making me hungry and thirsty - and it's only 7 am here. But I suppose it is really 8 as the clocks went forward here last night! :D
Toby

Post by Toby »

I have interest from Simon for the George and Dragon, Hurstbourne Tarrant nr. Andover. Any other takers? Ian, could you let me have wally and Rosemarys email or prod them in this direction?...
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

As one of the few who drive everyday in a vintage car I will be resting on 25th April in Scotland playing golf. Sorry. Highlander.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Righto, so, sunday 25th, George and Dragon, Hurstbourne Tarrant, Hants. Try to bring a flag so we can celebrate drive it and st georges day! :D
I will be there and will try and round up some others.
Hope to see you and Molly at the cotswolds rally instead.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thanks Toby, I'll add this to the website.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Finally got hold of the George and Dragon, no food sunday lunchtime, she's doing sandwiches but I have to order them. IF YOU'RE COMING LET ME KNOW ASAP IF YOU WANT SANDWICHES!!!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

And I just heard from Eric Mouser who will beat the Hatchgate. He tells me that John Nagle has put the word out to the local MR, so there could be a good turnout.

Also just heard from Jon Rose who has been going through a rough time lately, but campaigns his Morris Major in VSCC trials and is getting it well sorted. He reports, "I won the Long Wheel Base Trials trophy (Frost Trophy) for last year. Last weekend we won the Scottish Trial (LWB) and the McCosh Trophy. Were nearly always in the awards now - not bad for an old SV Morris!!!"

Well done and best wishes Jon.

Finally, while talking events, I just heard from Alex Dempster this morning who reports, "Picture attached of Kimber birthday rally to Larnach Castle last weekend (built by a crazy 18thC Scots politician) near Dunedin. May be the closest we get to Scotland this year if the volcano keeps going. Won a nice bottle of Central Oago Pinot Noir for being the best dressed." Very dapper, Alex! It is Alex who has done such a fantastic job for ten years to look after our antipodean members and to manage the accounts (not a simple task by any means) and post the Magazines down under.

Toby

Post by Toby »

sunny but windy, beautiful drive through Hampshires A roads and the new forest with blossom a plenty. Myself, Linda, Simon, Ronald and mum plus guest, Riz the dog! Simon had to go one better than my cross of st george by organizing the flag behind the cars :lol:

Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Well, it was good to get MT out of its dusty garage for a change, everything went to plan, even the hills didn;t prove too much of an issue, i did get slightly damp on the way home, but not enough to be an issue.......

What did amaze me, is how ignorant modern road users are to the plight of us vintage car drivers..... several people overtook me with not even room, and cutting in right in front of me, overtaking on solid white lines..... hash's.... you name it, they overtook on it!! People are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO impatient these days! good job i have lots of fingers for displaying my anger!!
Toby

Post by Toby »

Yup, what pisses me off most is when the selfish behaviour of people makes you lose your momentum-cutting in and braking, not giving way to uphill traffic etc. on the plus side we had a lot of smiles and waves and even met a veteran car on a back road near romsey.