The number plate market

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

The number plate market

Post by Ian Grace »

So I have been trying to find out where FB 8045 went - or more accurately, the number plate FB 8045. This was the original Bath registration for the 1929 tourer currently up for sale. It seems that the numerous 'cherished' number plate dealers are now networked because a search on any of their websites throws up very much the same numbers on offer.

Here's what I came up with:

FB 7726 for GBP 1,895
FB 9127 for GBP 2,140
FB 9669 for GBP 2,645.

But no FB 8045, which was presumably sold about 8 years ago when the car was re-registered.

But then I happened across the Morris Register's website and was gobsmacked to see that, among their sponsors highlighted on their website home page is Cape Plates, whose sales slogan is "We have your personal number plate". I'm willing to bet that they DO have many number plates that were removed from Morris Register members' cars, and now they are offering them back to the owners at prices comparable with the value of their cars!

Are we to see ads for bomb belts on the British Airways website next. Far be it for me to comment on the sponsorship deals struck by other clubs, but this one has me speechless. :?

And if that weren't enough, the ad directly below for an insurance company shows a very nice Morris saloon - with the number plate blanked out - perhaps it was sold to Cape Plates! :o :o :o

http://www.morrisregister.co.uk/ and scroll to the bottom.
Simon

Re: The number plate market

Post by Simon »

In view of the above I shall now have to consider seriously whether I wish to remain a member of the Morris Register. Is it not time that the DVLA introduced a scheme whereby owners can opt to make their registration numbers non-transferable.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I too am sick and tired of this Number Plate game. My Minor was AMG 30 and Mr. Curtis from whom I purchased the car said he was offered and accepted £10,000 for the number. He asked what would I have done? I have asked this question before on this forum - what would you do? I clicked on the plate site Ian mention and typped in PG (old surrey number) and they had 4 all 4 figures and all £2500 plus. We have seen our type of car being sold for £3000/£4000 with original numbers it is no wonder the dealers buy them, sell the number and then the car. That is life. Is the Petrol Pump man one of us? If so he should be drummed out. Highlander Ex AMG 30 now 289 UXG.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Perhaps before we resign en masse, we should complain about the advert...? :twisted:
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

No, he's not one of us, so probably saw the car for sale on our website while trawling for stock online. At least it looks like he's not planning to strip the number, but I wouldn't bet on it. I have e-mailed him to make contact and help him find a new owner ...

Incidentally, does anyone know what happened to the rule that a donor vehicle had to have an MoT before the number could be removed? What is the process these days?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Toby wrote:Perhaps before we resign en masse, we should complain about the advert...? :twisted:
Good idea - but I'll let someone else do that. Haven't been a member for over 20 years anyway. I was 3704 when I joined in 1976.
Toby

Post by Toby »

I have written as I don't think the advert supports the aims of the register, what people choose to do with their car is their own business though...
Has to have mot to be put on retention and you can't use bikes to store numbers anymore. I noticed quite a few of the cars in the charterhouse auction at shepton had scottish numbers...
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thanks Toby. I'm sure we will all be interested in any response you might receive. Is there no comment on their own forum from any members? I also agree about owners having the final choice.

When the tourer FB 8045 was auctioned, it didn't have a V5, as it had been off the road for decades, so it had no chance of obtaining an MoT. It only had a continuation logbook. But the number was still stripped shortly after the sale. I am wondering if these number plate dealers are in bed with tame MoT stations?
Toby

Post by Toby »

Here's the trick, if you've not mot'd a car before and it comes in, right model and colour, the owner shows the plate with chassis No. on (held on with 4 screws) and you get the mot for that chassis. As long as the other car doesn't go to the same garage for mot even a reputable garage would be none the wiser unless they knew to check the dumbiron. I once handed the mot inspector the chassis plate for my spitfire as i hadn't got round to putting it back after the respray and forgot before the test! :lol:
However without a current V5c any reclaimed number should be nontransferrable. its an interesting debate though... If your car needs £4,000 to keep it on the road/restore it and you don't have the cash but have the V5 and a valuable number... It does make cars unknown to the register hard to trace their history if the original number is unknown.
A moral minefield, along with those who break prewar cars because the number/parts are worth more than the car... :cry:
Mike Stubbings

Money offers

Post by Mike Stubbings »

I have had three cars with interesting numbers for quite a number of years and still have them. They have 2 or 3 letters and 3 numbers and I have had offers for them without me approaching anyone. About 8yrs ago one firm would guarantee me the sum of £3000 if I would allow them to advertise my number.The car was not worth that at the time. I did not want to remove the original reg.then and turned the offer away. If someone came along now and offered me more than the car is worth I would seriously have to think about it. :oops: Mike
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Well, I have to say that it doesn't seem to make a blind bit of difference to the value of a car if it has its original number, or a replacement SV number on it. SV 9091 currently for sale is a case in point. It is selling for considerably more than it was auctioned for, and before the FB 8045 number was stripped.
Mike Stubbings

Post by Mike Stubbings »

I am on your side in this debate Ian but what I meant was the car is worth considerably more now than it was then .If an offer was made now with the same sort of increase I would seriously have to consider it. It does not mean I would take it but I am on a pension now, I was working then. Mike.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I quite understand, Mike.

I do notice that your Minor was first registered 25/10/85, so is that number transferrable?
ashford

Post by ashford »

Is it still possible to trace a number on the DVLA website?
My dad sold his 1933 minor tourer MU 6156 in about the late eighties. It was a good usable car. I've often wondered what happended to this car as I know the new owner began to pull it to pieces. When I checked the DVLA website a few years ago, the plate was being used on a twenties Studebaker / Maxwell. It seems that you now have to include a make on the DVLA website which makes it impossible to trace a number. I suspect the minor is now an M type with an SV number. :cry:
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Toby wrote:I have written as I don't think the advert supports the aims of the register ...
Well Toby, your letter worked wonders. I just checked the MR website and they have now put the Cape Plates advert UNDERNEATH the Lancaster Insurance ad! :D :D :D