Scuttle front edge half round.

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Mike Stubbings

Scuttle front edge half round.

Post by Mike Stubbings »

Hi All, When I purchased my Minor 1932 2str I assumed that the half round ali moulding which sits around the top front edge of the scuttle was a cover up for a bad edge. "It was sometimes done as a repair where the bonnet edge may have damaged the corner of the scuttle." The half round is the same size as the rear boot edge one. However I have been looking at various pictures of Minors and have noticed quite a few have this in place, some polished and some painted in. I know the moulding on the boot is original but can anyone tell me for sure that the scuttle one is. I so what bonnet rest material was used and what shape.I have looked at all the rubber shapes on the market and have decided that the best seems to be rubber tube.Thanks. Mike
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Scuttle front edge half round.

Post by Ian Grace »

Hello Mike,

Unless I'm having brain failure, I don't think there is any half round ali strip on the SV 2-seater except that which covers the join in the side and tail panels.

The timber cross section for the three timbers that constitute the bonnet support - top and two sides is L-shaped, and then the bonnet rests on a round rubber strip which is tacked into a half-round groove in these timber members, such that, when the scuttle is paneled and the bonnet is in position, the bonnet should transition smoothly into the scuttle.

When I rebuilt the Semi-sports, I wanted to get the right rubber material for the bonnet support, but could not find anything like the correct cross-section from any of the usual suspects. Then I found that Harry Edwards has the stuff in his catalogue, so bought some. It is the right diameter, but I suspect that it is considerably softer than the original. I cannot be certain, because all the original strip I have ever come across has become very brittle with age.

So I fitted the Harry Edwards strip but the weight of the bonnet squashes the strip in all the wrong places, and the desired smooth transition from bonnet to scuttle was not achieved. So I needed up making a temporary bodge by slipping this strip of wood under the rubber where it needed extra support to make things look good externally, but it looks ugly under the bonnet because you can see the wood strips.

I did think about using electrical cable - something like starter cable, but didn't try this. This might be too rigid. Perhaps someone else has found just the right sort of strip from somewhere?

Incidentally, to avoid any complicated double routing, on most of the frames I have built, I have made these L-section scuttle timbers from two pieces. I rout the half-round groove in the front piece and then glue and screw it to the rear piece to provide the L-shape. Works a treat and is, of course, totally invisible once paneled.
Mike Stubbings

Post by Mike Stubbings »

Hi Ian, I have never had any problems with scuttles I have built myself as it is easy to router and shape the rest to suit the rubber. In this case the half round was already on there and had been painted. I found some skinned sponge rubber which was the correct shape and is self adhesive which fitted fine but it is to soft and I had the same problem as you. I do not intend to remove the halfround as it would mean a lot of work repainting. I have in the past used rubber tube (thick walled) fed a piece of rope through the centre and pulled it round the scuttle and fixed it either side at the bottom with screw and washer, this works very well and you do not have lots of fixings all round. Easy to remove and replace. I shall probably do that in this case. Mike
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Very sneaky idea! I'll remember that for next time!
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I have just been outside into the Garage to have a look at my 1932 two seater (11.20pm!!) My bonnet and scuttle are flush. The bonnet sits on a rubber strip which looks to be stuck to the firewall top. Highlander.
Mike Stubbings

Post by Mike Stubbings »

Hi Highlander, Yes I noticed yours when we were at Brooklands, that is how I intended to do mine, may revert to that way if I can get some rubber suitable. Like to see some of the pics you took that day. All the best Mike.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Mike,

I found this photo which shows the problem I had. Note the two thin wood strips to support the rubber section. Something I need to sort when I get the car back over here later this year.

Here's another, showing the brass P-channel strip that protects the scuttle fabric on the fabric models:

Toby

Post by Toby »

and is on later saloons, possibly the 34 tourers too, as mine has that strip.
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hello,
On my car there is no metal strip , only some beading !
Is the strip original only for the Semi sports?

Regards,
Halbe
Mike Stubbings

Post by Mike Stubbings »

Hi Ian, Its amazing what replies you sometimes get when asking a technical question on the forum, all very informative and useful and helpful. I think I have realised what I have been looking at in a variety of pics and that is the p shaped brass plated strip which some MG and Morris had fitted round the scuttle. I have over the years rebuilt a number of early MGs and I recall this moulding being fitted. I am now convinced that for some reason the ali half round on mine was fitted at a later date. It seems as for the bonnet rest I have the same problem as you. One idea I have is maybe a thicker rest rubber than you need and then with a sharp stanley knife shave off the underside where required so as to leave you a nice flat top which runs truly with the scuttle. This maybe the easiest route to take. Mike.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Sounds like a good plan. On mine, I think I am going to fill in much of the half-round groove, which is workign against a good bonnet fit instead of helping it. Then progile some firm rubber strip as you sugggest to trim the bonnet to the scuttle. It seens the only way to get a good fit all along. It was easier in the fasctory with all new, perferct andf unbent bonnets, but muy bonnet hasd had ahard life and just doesn't want to sit right on a piece of squashy rubber.

To answer you, Halbe, the piping you have fitted is interesting - and very likely original, judging by the rest of the car. I suspect that yours, being a late '29 car (so early '30 season) had piping, and then Morris 'improved' this to a brass strip for the 1931 models (which mine is). I'll research other fabric saloons of different ages and see if I can learn more. The Morris parts list may also provide a clue - if it references this brass strip. It might just give a chassis number for the introduction of the part.