Motor House Wanted

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

ashford

Motor House Wanted

Post by ashford »

I am in desparate need of more garage space. I have a potential site in my parents garden where I could construct something to fit a minor and hide it behind lots of laurel trees. The quicker and easier it is to construct, the more time and money I can spend on the car. Something not too permanant but dry would be good. After various madcap ideas from train carriages to victorian shepherds huts my latest plan is as follows. I would like to utilise the angle iron frame from a 1930's or 40's ABC garage. In place of the original abestos cladding I would use, onduline cladding (corrugated cellulose-bituman).

ABC garages are still quite common in several suburban streets. If any one knows of any spare frames, please let me know. Heres some info on them:

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/fireproofgarages.htm

Morris marketed their own wooden motor houses in the 1920's and 30's but I suspect these have all rotted away.
I welcome any other suggestions.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Motor House Wanted

Post by Ian Grace »

James,

Any progress with the Rover 8? Did you make contact with the Rover Register - they were unaware of this car.
ashford

Post by ashford »

Hi Ian,

The Rover is progressing. The un-official Rover 8 register has been very helpful. I've sourced some replica front wings (the originals were missing ). The car must have been driven down some very rough cornish lanes; When I cleaned the chassis, I discovered several major cracks behind each spring mount and on the gearbox casing. Nearly all the springs were broken so Im surprised how it all stayed in one piece. The engine / gearbox would seem to be a slightly later replacement unit. This was probably replaced soon after it was built as they had a habit of overheating and were often changed. The main bits missing are the spare wheel, widscreen and original dummey rad shell. Im leaving the body till last as Im not sure how to tackle it yet. Im told that they can reach 30mph when finished but this is terrifying - and if you are really brave, you can fit GN ohv. barrels as Archie Frazer-Nash supplied in the 20's.
Toby

Post by Toby »

You will find that a minor will fit in a large panel van so if you could source an elderly scrapper... Beware the bitumen sheeting for roofing, it sags in the sunlight after around 6 years.... Concrete sectional garages are often free to collector... :shock:
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

ref the bitumen roofing, its rubbish....... but if you insist on using it, you could nail chicken wire to the rafters first, or even thin plywood......
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Here's the original motor house offered by Morris Motors. Perhaps a candidate for a replica?

Offered in steel (KP) or wood frames (DP) for the Minor.

ashford

Post by ashford »

A morris motor house would be great. The advert states that drawings are available from Cowley for planning applications.
Old planning applications are publicly accessible so Im sure these drawings could be obtained if necessary; and depending on detail, they may be useful for a replica. I would prefer to repair an original though. The steel frame type looks very similar to the ABC garages. These bolt together like a mechano set. Non asbestos fibre cement boards and corrugated sheets are relatively cheap so an accurate recreation of an original would be possible. I bought my semi-sports chassis from a similar ABC garage. This had been insulated and lined with plywood which made it totally condensation free.

MWW wrote a good article in the Automobile, December 2001. on motor houses. This includes a couple of images of slightly earlier Morris garage adverts. One is entitled - 'Your garage problem Solved'.
My scanner is broken otherwise I could add these.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Careful, James! I'm not sure whether a replica motor home would be eligible for the Register! :o

Fantastic thought that planning consents may have copies of the drawings still extant. If you want to get serious, it might also be worth contacting people like Harry and also Robin Barraclough to see what they have. Both are Honorary members of the VMR and their contact details may be found on the Members' List.
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hello James,

Try to get 3 out of the 5 parts right and apply for VSCC or BOC membership, never seen such a sporting garage :D
Great idea to make a replica motor home !!

Regards,
Halbe
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

I have seen one of these garages somewhere..... locally, can i remember where.... nope... but rest assured i will keep my eyes peeled from now on!!!