King pins, brake pulley gear and cables

This thread is for discussing parts for sale, wanted, or surplus.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

King pins, brake pulley gear and cables

Post by Ian Grace »

With many restorations currently commencing, it is time to commission another set of pulley-type king pins, brake pulleys and brackets, and cables.

Here are the parts:

OHC:

King pins (both pulley offsets)
Pulleys, shackled and non-shackled
Brake cables - 180 degree and later type
Pulley cable guides

SV:

King pins (pulley type)
Pulleys, shackled and non-shackled
Pulley chassis bracket - early and late type
Brake cables

Please e-mail the Register with your needs, so that we can assess demand and get quotes together. Please also send any technical queries if you are not sure what you need for your chassis.
Toby

Re: King pins, brake pulley gear and cables

Post by Toby »

Ian, splendid idea, while trying to sort out brake judder which by a process of elimination needed kingpins doing I found out a coupl of things...
SV kingpins are very hard to come by and my pulleys were excessively worn. Luckily I happened to have a spare set of good pulleys but their condition shocked me. Just like the sv dynamo drive it's something that you will need eventually, or maybe now but don't realise it, and when it is needed it'll be hard to find! I suggest all sv owners check their pulleys for wear in the centre, and even like mine, missing edges and worn pins!
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Agreed. The SV pulleys were cast alloy, as opposed to the machined bronze pulleys of the OHC cars. I'll ask Parth about getting some SV pulleys cast over in India for us. Can anyone suggest a spec for these - surely not monkey metal?! Whatever, we should be able to find some better material than the 1930's originals.
Simon

Post by Simon »

It might be simpler and possibly cheaper to machine them up from bronze rod as any cast ones would also have to be finish machined.
Toby

Post by Toby »

I hate to throw a spanner in the works but my old and new ones appear to be brass or similar. If the originals weren't brass it suggests they were a regularly replaced item when our cars were in regular use as my old ones are pre 1965 but are remanufactured from brass instead of mazak or similar (craptonite? :lol: )
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Agreed - I believe the originals were alloy, and I don't think I have ever seen any different, but I'm prepared to believe that Brive/Remax, etc. may have offered machines/bronze replacements. And I think it may well be a good idea to have the new ones machined. I think I'll talk to the cable manufacturers - or even some sailing people to see which works best with wire cables.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Agreed - I believe the originals were alloy, and I don't think I have ever seen any different, but I'm prepared to believe that Brivec/Remax, etc. may have offered machines/bronze replacements. And I think it may well be a good idea to have the new ones machined. I think I'll talk to the cable manufacturers - or even some sailing people to see which works best with wire cables.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Ian, I have just paid £20 more for a speedo cable from a rapid cable co. :wink: than Eddie Wylde charged me for one. I thought by cutting out the middle man it would be cheaper! I have spoken to a nice man who makes oil pressure pipes at speedograph richfield ltd, they also supply brake cables and may be helpful in your quest or maybe know a good manufacturer. If you go down the sailing route you'll probaably find pulleys dearer than vintage car ones, I hear it's a dearer hobby than cars, "you may as well stand in a bathtub and rip up £50 notes" was a quote about boats i once heard :lol:
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Speedograph Richfield, Speedy Cables. Who remembers Mr. Fahmy Mahrouf?

When I mentioned sailing I meant I'd find out what material is used in boat rigging pulleys - wasn't suggesting that we find a boat pulley that works on a SV Minor braking system. But then again, that might not be a bad idea! My family hardware store back in Michigan had bins of all sorts of general purpose pulleys and some were almost correct for the brakes - and they were about a buck each!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

So far, I have four of us wanting SV Minor brake pulley gear, etc. We need to get this up to about 12 or 15 sets to make the exercise viable. We'll be making the pulleys/shackles, chassis brackets (both types) and clevises, road spring shackle cable guides, kingpins and cables - and you can order any or all of these parts to suit your needs. This is a rare - if not a unique opportunity - to overhaul your brakes properly, or at least lay in the spares for a restoration in progress while the parts are available. Some of these parts have never been made before, and may not again.

Just e-mail me to discuss your potential requirements. vintageminor@gmail.com
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

After mailshooting over forty SV Minor owners last week, we now have seven full sets on order. Good job, guys. We need about another five to make the exercise viable, so I think we will get there.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ian,

The brass cable guide that is fixed to the front rear spring hanger are or were available from Harry Edwards, I think that they were about £5 each.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Correct Simon. The guide we'll be making is the small steel bridge strap that fits on the front spring shackle - attached by the two grease nipples, which guides the front cable.
Simon

Post by Simon »

You learn something new every day!! :) They are missing on my late minor.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Make that 8 sets requested - so four more and we have enough to place a batch order.

Any more takers?