new years day at white buck inn, burley, hants

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Toby

new years day at white buck inn, burley, hants

Post by Toby »

splendid weather but very icy on roads.
the only minor, in good company!

how come over 20 a****n 7s made it out!

the only other morris

4 cylinders, 15 litres, I love these big edwardians.

new forest drive home
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: new years day at white buck inn, burley, hants

Post by Ian Grace »

TWENTY Austin 7's at one meet? Common as muck - or, as they would say in these parts, a dime a dozen. I very much doubt if 20 Minors turned out anywhere today! But you must have felt very exclusive! :D

Thanks for the pics, Toby - could you e-mail the pic of your saloon at the meet in high res to me? Thanks, and a Happy New Year!

Anyone else got any New Year report or pics?
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I was at Brooklands. Almost first to arrive at 10am so could pick my spot in the paddock. No other Morris Minors. 2 Morris 8, and Richard Bird in his touring Morris. A very good turn out of vintage cars anfd moderns. Met Mike Wiggins and had a good chat. Molly calling me for dinner. Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I think you mean Mike Summers, Alister?
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Quite right Mike Summers - sorry Mike! The vintage turn out was quite good - everything but Humbers!!! The 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s turn out was quite something else - 100s, it never ceases to amaze just what people save and restore to a very high standard. Where did the 'local' Morris Minor group go to? It could not have been a better day - cold but sunshine all day. Thank you Mike for finding me out. Highlander.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Ian, and Mike, I know I am now 74 and in May will be 75 but names!!!! Mike Stubbins NOT Summers (I was thinking of Ann!!) I have just read your piece Mike and thank you for your kind comments. It is sad that Minors do not turn up when so many Austin 7s do. We must get your minor on the road - not a lot left to do. Please come over some time aand we can go to the club (Royal Automobile Club) for a pie and a pint - lots of room to park. I found out the password and you own one - not the Oxford!!! I spoke to Ken Fox who is axle deep in snow up in Aberdeenshire, He is a retired Englishman who moved to Gods own Country. Wear your Mick's tie with pride - our secret!! Highlander, Queen's Own Cameron Highlander (Rtd)
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Oops! First cock-up of the New Year! Stubbings, not Summers! A quick check tells me there are 8 Mikes in the Register! :o
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

And yes - it is very sad that so few Minors turn out compared to Sevens - and it isn't just because Sevens are more numerous. The Sevenists have an entirely different attitude towards their cars - being in general fiercely enthusiastic about the practicality of their cars - which are actually very practical vintage cars. The Minor is even more robust than any Seven, but I wish I had a Pound for every owner who has told me that their cars are not capable of being used on modern roads. What b*lls**t! If this were true, the VSCC Light Car Section would have been disbanded long ago!

The PRIMARY goal of the VMR is to encourage owners to DRIVE their cars. I have 18 Minors and M Types booked in for Prescott so far - so I'm hoping to see that number doubled between now and July. Even 18 will be a clear record - the current Register record being 13 Minors in one place at any time. If we can assemble 30 or 40 Minors at Prescott - it should definitely be a unique sight indeed.
Toby

Post by Toby »

one good thing about so many 7s is that i did tyre research! the majority were running on avon sm mkIIs 350x19 so that is going to be my tyre of choice for the saloon in the january work schedule. There were a few excelsiors and one set of blockleys as well but if so many choose the avon it must be good for my minor :D
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear