OHC Oil Pump

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Orstin

OHC Oil Pump

Post by Orstin »

Howdy.. I'm just about to start assembling the engine for my M type and have realised I have a Minor oil pump - ie small body, shallow gears etc. I would like to increase the oil flow by fitting a larger capacity pump - as original M type or later j2 version. This can be done with the minor pump I have with the addition of a spacer between the body and cover plate and the fitting of new gears - all available from S&V. However, it has been suggested to me that the later OHC Minors had a larger pump fitted. Two obvious questions spring to mind - a) can anyone confirm that? and b) does anyone have one?

Hugh
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: OHC Oil Pump

Post by Ian Grace »

Hugh,

a) I don't believe later pumps were deeper (but I have seen a very shallow pump which is assumed to have come off a very early engine - written up in a past VMR Magazine I think - anyone know ther issue off hand?). I think I checked the parts schedule when I looked at this one and found nothing - not that the parts schedule caught every change during production.

(Also, if the OHC pump had been made deeper, one would have thought that this impriovement would have been picked up in the SV Minor - but it wasn't - the SV Minor pumps are all the same depth as the OHC pumps.)

b) So I don't think anyone will have one!

Early M Types had the standard Minor pump - not sure when the deeper pump was introduced, and I know that such changes to the M spec. were not well documents because it didn't have its own parts schedule.

if you check the Tech Details link from the site index, you'll find a list of chassis and engine changes for the OHC Minor extracted from the parts schedule. The only reference to changes relating to the oil pump was that an improved driven gear was introduced at engine U10126, but I couldn't tell you what the improvement was.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Ian & Hugh,

I have a feeling that Sports & Vintage can convert M type oil pumps to J type specification with the deeper gears. I will check their literature and comfirm at a later date.
Orstin

Post by Orstin »

Thanks both for replies - Ian, I thought yours would be the answer I would get, so thanks for that. Simon - yes S&V do provide a spacer and the deeper gears to convert to the M/J2 spec, though it is quite a pricey option - from memory, the spacer is about £20 and the gears £80 - plus vat and postage of course.

cheers!

Hugh
D Johnson

Post by D Johnson »

Hi All

I am rebuilding an oil pump and have 2. one with the thin 5mm gears and one with the 10mm gears. The pin on the bronze gear is warn and i would like to replace it does any one know how to remove it and if any one does replacements.

Thanks
Toby

Post by Toby »

off message, i know, but have been trying to contact simon so he should get a topic reply notification for this post... Have you changed email simon? :?
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear