Suspension wear

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Suspension wear

Post by Ian Grace »

Terry Synnott is working hard on his 1929 tourer and has contacted me asking about wear in his spring hangers, and he provided detailed table of measurements which vary from standard 1/2" (12.7 mm) to up to 14 mm with ovality in the various hangers.

I answered that I would be inclined to accept this degree of wear in the dumbirons - provided new pins are fitted. The remedy is complicated - except for the front spring rear hangers which can be removed easily by drilling out the rivets and replaced after bushing with bolts (although the bolt heads will foul the shackles, so the fix I use is to cut away the shackle web a little to allow the shackle to lean back when the spring is under positive load).

As for the rear spring rear hangers, these are more difficult to bush (and I have never done this myself) because the rear springs line up with the road and not the chassis rails, so there is a 3 degree angle to take account of when setting up the (removed) fitting for bushing. Also remember that the rear spring front attachment castings don't suffer from wear, so the rear springs tend to be held vertical provided that there is no play in the spring eyes. I asked Terry what sort of clearance/wear he has in his spring eyes and shackles. Spring eyes can easily be closed up to 1/2" by a good blacksmith which certainly helps keep everything vertical.

Incidentally, I have seen some horrible shackle pins in some of the Minors I have worked on - with the pins worn more than half through. I also once had a Minor where someone had looped a piece of wire several times through the spring hangers to combat the wear!

Has anyone had problems in the MoT with suspension wear?

Has anyone noticed a degradation in handling when driving a Minor with worn suspension?

Can anyone add to these comments for Terry's and other members' benefit?
dawood

Re: Suspension wear

Post by dawood »

My first Minor failed its MOT in 1965 due to the worn shackles. A.Senar in Birkenhead made up a set for me and at the same time they did the white metal bearings for me.

They are still in existence and now called LVW Senar Ltd, 118 Cleveland Street, Birkenhead, and last week they made up another set of shackles for me for my new minor. Cost approx £16 each including hardness testing one of the originals and hardening the new ones to the same reading. Contact is Malcolm Lloyd. He is very enthusiastic and helpful.Tel: 0151 666 2020.