DS4 Distributor Components

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Sam Christie

DS4 Distributor Components

Post by Sam Christie »

I hope to tidy up a spare DS4 distributor. I appreciate that these distributors were only fitted for a few years. Are any of the parts readily available and if necessary, is it possible to adapt alternative components?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: DS4 Distributor Components

Post by Ian Grace »

Yes and no, Sam.

The caps are the same as the fifties Renault Dauphine - these come up on eBay quite regularly and are cheap.

The rotors are adaptable from Vauxhall rotors from about the eighties - you just need to trim the brass contact.

Points are a problem (and if you do find any offered, make sure you get the correct rotation - there were two rotations for DS4's).

Condensers - extremely rare now, and of the NOS ones I have used, they don't last - I think the old mica dialectric is long past its sell-by date even in unused ones. I strap on a new condenser and have never had any problems with these - virtually anything will do.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Rotor arms are available from A=s=t=n 7 suppliers or Ring part no RRA203 which replaces Delco 820445. As Ian says they have to be cut down- check that there sufficient clearance in the disrtibutor cap.
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

Thanks for the advice. I have been searching for the original points but no luck so far. I tried Yesterday's Components but even Harry Edwards would like to find a set. I suppose a DJ4 distributor is the next option and caps, points and condensers are apparently easy to find. With the DJ4 I understand direction of rotation is something to keep in mind. Does anyone know the correct Lucas part number for points for a Minor with a DJ4 distributor?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Sam,

I think this spreadsheet might help. I need to add the DJ4 to it though.

http://www.vintageminor.co.uk/Forumpix/ ... spares.xls
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

Digressing briefly I understand these alternative DJ4's have the correct rotation for an OHC Minor ie clockwise when seen from the top.

Here is the DJ4 picture from the manual -

Last edited by Sam Christie on Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sam Christie

Post by Sam Christie »

Just while I am contributing pictures you may wish to see my DS4 as it sits at present. The cap is cracked but this should not be a problem. The cap retaining clips need replaced and screws are missing but the points are the main challenge.

Sorry the pictures are a little gloomy.

The outside-

The inside-

The manual-

DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

Hi Sam,

I have emailed you but in casethat does not work I have some DS4 bits you might be interested in.

I believe that the DS4 was also avaiable in an anti clockwise version - I have bits of one!

Cheers
Jeremy