Speedo connections

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Speedo connections

Post by Ian Grace »

Can anyone say whether the speedo takeoffs on 3 and 4 speed gearboxes are the same or different? I thought they were the same - except for the ratio. Stuart Clarke e-mailed me to ask, as his cable does not appear to be the same as either his box (not sure which speed he has) or his speedo which he picked up at Beaulieu.
Toby

Re: Speedo connections

Post by Toby »

The output on cammy 3 speed, sv 3speed and 4 speed synchro all appear to be the same.
ps any news on gearbox serial No.s research? Did you get much input?
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Simon

Post by Simon »

Yes they are the same, except for the gear ratios. See Harry Edwards information manual for the Morris Minor, the brass fitting that screws into the gearbox casing is common to all three boxes (both constant mesh & syncromesh 4 speed boxes).
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Thanks guys - I'll pass on the word.

As for the numbering research, the data I have is just what is on that thread, and there doesn't seem to be enough data yet to see any pattern or system ermerging. I'll ask in the next Magazine and see what response I get.

Incidentally, I have always got my speedo cables from Mike Dowley in the past, but I guess I'll need a SV one for the Mac - is it a case of going to Richfields tor Speedy Cables to have one made, or are they available off the shelf from anywhere?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Yesterdays Components aka Harry Edwards may have one, they were listed in his catalogues. The SV ones have a different fitting at the speedo end.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Eddie Wylde at Wyvern had them off the shelf for sv minors, I think Speedy have been sold, address is now in Wales and they need patterns, I had a dim memory of them not needing patterns way back when!
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear