Autumn 2010 pub meets

This thread is for discussing past and future events.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Autumn 2010 pub meets

Post by Ian Grace »

It is almost that time again - where did the summer go?

So far, we have:

4th October Royal Oak, Barrington

11th October Hatchgate, Bramshill

11th October Four Horseshoes, Thornham Magna

18th October Windmill Inn, Four Marks and Watercress Line visit

I think the Peatling Magna meet is defunct, but will check with Brian Maeers and the locals.

And we should not forget the autumn meet in Holland on 13th September.

If anyone else would like to organize a small gathering - perhaps in a new part of the country, please let me know and I will co-ordinate.

So - who is going to be where?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Autumn 2010 pub meets

Post by Ian Grace »

Add October 18th - The Cock Inn, Peatling Magna, Leicestershire. Just heard from Brian Maeers this morning.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Just a reminder that these meets kick off THIS weekend with the Barrington, Cambridgeshire meet.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

So, did anyone turn up at the Hatchgate or Four Horseshoes yesterday?
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

To answer Ian's question re Hatchgate. Yes quite a few and John N took many phots which I am sure will appear. I took pictures but cannot put them on the forum!!. For me it was a 100 mile round trip. Each 50 miles took 1 1/2 hours. A good run out but very light rain set in whilst in the pub for lunch and also on the run home. This was the first time I* have driven my minor with the hood up and although very, very difficult getting into the car, once in I was fine. It was so good meeting so many minor owners - all names I have forgotten!!! Also all the Bean owners I met. A good day out and looking forward to 4 Marks next week. I was surprised that so many of the minor owners present yesterday do NOT read the forum!! Why? Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Alister - indeed JN sent me some great photos this morning - one of which I have put on the website. If you have any photos you would like uploading here, just e-mail them to me, and I will do the business for you.

Re your question about owners not posting on the forum - the forum is great and may seem like the centre of the Universe for some of us, but the reality is that it only represents about 10% of the wider register. We have well over 200 members, many of whom either don't have computers or use them just for basic e-mails, surfing, etc., and many owners spend more time in their workshops than on the computer! That is why the Magazine is so important as the central means of communicating across the entire worldwide membership, but does have the disadvantages that a) printed data is often out of date, and b) it is not particularly interactive (except for the Correspondence column!). The website in general gets a much wider readership than the forum, which is why it is important to put news items on the home page, rather than just puting that information on the forum. As for the e-mailed Newsletters, the iBuilder system that supports these reports back on opening stats, and typically about 40% of Newsletter don't actually get opened by the recipients - and I know who you are! :D

Anyway, very nice to see such a strong turnout again yesterday, and the continued support of the Bean Car Club who are also very much on board with VMR Prescott for next year.
Toby

Post by Toby »

I'm sure if the forum was pushed people would find it invaluable and we would get a better turnout to events.... :D
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Perhaps, but I think the main reasons people don't attend events is more to do with their approach to their cars (many won't drive them more than five miles, or don't drive them at all, and in any case, most Minors are in bits anyway). I send out the monthly electric newsletter to over 200 members every month, with all the event info included. I don't think Austin 7's turn out in flocks and are driven huge mileages because their owners are more electrically savvy - unless we're talking ignition systems. :D