chassis rivets

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

evosteve

chassis rivets

Post by evosteve »

Hi i have chassis that i am restoring but some of the rivets are loose wot is the best thing to do replace the rivets with bolts or can u get new rivets and wots the best way to fit them ?
i would like to try and keep it as original as possible
cheers steve
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Forum!

Replacing rivets with bolts is perfectly acceptible as long as you do it right with bolts tight in the holes. The absolute purist may disagree, in which case you woudl need to find a chassis repair shop (I have one which handles commercial vehicle chassis near me, whic I use) and get them to fit the rivets red hot. Or maybe your local blacksmith could handle it it if you have a traditional blacksmith within reach.

What car do you have?

Ian
DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

Steve,
I am going down the high tensile (8.8 grade) bolt route as I could not find anywhere local to re-rivet. All the advice from within the club and outside suggest bolting is as good. Getting the correct dolly to hold the rivet head, and getting everything hot, and then finding enough room to hit the other end of the rivet all suggest this not an easy job!

The rivets seem to be about 5/16 diameter, the holes in my chassis are worn through the rivets being loose, so it looks like I will have to go to 3/8. Bolts are better than set screws if you can find any bolts short enough, then the plain part of the bolt locates in the chassis.

cheers
Jeremy