Harry Edwards

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Harry Edwards

Post by Ian Grace »

Many of you will know Harry, and he has been an Honorary Member of the VMR since the beginning, and has contributed significantly to the details of cars held by the Register - in fact I am planning to e-mail him today regarding Debbie Borman's Hundred Pound Minor which was finally liberated from its lair yesterday - more news on this elsewhere shortly.

So I was very concerned to receive the following from Bev Hicks this morning:

"I am at present composing a letter to the Morris Register as Harry Edwards has given up as Editor due to some irritation from some of the committee and so I intend pointing out the enormous contribution he has made and due to his efforts the MR is held in such high regard in the old car world. Fortunately he remains as Historian but these little Hitlers are about."

Can I suggest that those of us who have known Harry for many long years consider doing the same.
Highlander

Re: Harry Edwards

Post by Highlander »

Before I write to the committee I would like to know just what irritaion Harry has caused (if any?) Harry is the Club. Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I'm afraid I don't know any more than what was in Bev's e-mail. I will try to find out more.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

This from Bev:

"Harry has received a lot nit picking and hassle from one or two of the MR committee in recent times, I understand to the point that he had just had enough. He recently sold off some of his surplus literature and was accused by I think the Chairman of selling club property which was not true, in fact most of the archive the MR have access to was purchased by Harry as the club did not have the money.

It seems that the old newsletter and The Journal have been replaced by Morris Monthly newsletter which is a somewhat lightweight publication and being a glossy I wonder if they can afford it? Time will tell. I have just written to the editor pointing out a few facts I will send you a copy."

Bev also sent me a copy of the letter he sent to Rob Symonds, the new Morris Monthly newsletter, which reflects the above sentiments, but I don't think I need publish the full text here.
cammy

Post by cammy »

I spoke to Harry at some length about a couple or three months ago when all this was brewing and the although there were several irritatinng matters I rather gather the fuss over the auction was a bit of a last straw. In fact the items in the auction (which was a very small percentage of the total) were all Harrt's personal posessions. The journal was another matter.

However, I think the new magazine (whether affordable or not) is a great improvement and seems to be featuring more Minors of late and this month there was an excellent article (part 1) on Minor Specials.

Those of you who know Harry will appreciate that he is his own man and I believe the register 'officials' are fully aware of his status and influence.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Let sleeping dogs lie. Highlander.