Spark Plugs

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

DF9053

Spark Plugs

Post by DF9053 »

Are we all using the short reach 18mm plugs?

Has anyone tried adapting down to 14mm and using a longer reach plug?

cheers
Jeremy
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Short reach here, Jeremy. Never found a source of long-reach. Have not tried adapting down, but results might be interesting, and I think offer a greater range of plugs.

Small victory yesterday - after several abortive attempts, built one good dynamo from two and tested it by shorting together the two terminals and applying 6V to them both with case resting on the battery earth terminal - as per instructions in M 127 - motors beautifully! So just of out to install it - fingers crossed that I see the desired effect on the ammeter!
chris lambert

Post by chris lambert »

Jeremy, Contact Trevor Wilkinson who has just converted to longer reach plugs. Chris
Highlander

plugs

Post by Highlander »

As someone who has four different makes of plug in my engine andn it runs like a watch may I ask what we are trying to acheive? All the best Alister.!!!!
Highlander

plugs

Post by Highlander »

As someone who has four different makes of plug in my engine andn it runs like a watch may I ask what we are trying to acheive? All the best Alister.!!!!
DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

What am I trying to achieve?

Well the best from the engine I suppose, a good clean burn getting the maximum power and ecconomy. Just as Mr Morris intended.

The short reach plugs are very shrouded, the flash point can't be in the best place to achieve maximum power and ecconomy can they? Longer reach plugs were fitted when the cars were new.

If putting 14mm adaptors in and using a longer 14mm plug can improve things surely its worth a go?

Cheers
Jeremy
Highlander

plugs

Post by Highlander »

Jeremy, point taken my answer was tongue in cheek.Had some luck at golf club today I was given an old wooden box full of Morris Minor valves! Most have Morris on the stem just above the cotter. Question - did stem size differ? Alister (Highlander,
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Alister,

Stem size was standard (they didn't do oversizes), but length is - as they say - important! :D

OHC valves are identical to SV valves except for length. When I had my first Minor at University - a SV 2-seater, I found an original set of OHC valves in Beales of Bath (anyone remember them?). So I bought them, cut them down and ground in new cotter slots. Sacrebleu!