Battery terminals

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Highlander

Battery terminals

Post by Highlander »

I mentioned my late night trip to Dorking and that my light were not much uses. I had a look at the battery this morning and it once again , the + terminal was covered in crud. I washed this off with boiling water to find the terminal had disintergrated!!!! The crud had kept everything in place. I have a small box full of terminals but could I find them?!! I will have to spend tomorrow morning looking for them - drives me mad. I did find some goodies i.e. a mirror that is almost a match for the Morris, I want one for the offside windscreen. I must have a sort out and sell at the autojumble. Highlander.
Toby

Re: Battery terminals

Post by Toby »

Or post on here in marketplace! :D
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

A very good idea Toby. I did find the terminals 5 N and 4 P - all two screw clamp. Minor now OK again. Just to give everyone some idea of the 'junk' I have collected over 50 years - dozens of valves for Austin 7., Humber 9.20, Alvis 12/50, 16hp Sunbeam, RR 20HP. Valve springs, cotters, guides. Pistons, rings, 18mm plugs. Horns, lamps, reflectors, mags, mirrors, spot lamps and so on. Not much Minor for spares - I have a spare engine and gearbox but one never knows. There are switches, bonnet catches, door handles, speedos, clocks, etc I could go on all night. Come the winter I will sort them all out and place an ad on the forum. I notice the Minor that Ivor Bleaney had for sale last month for £11,000 is not listed this month!! Anyone know if it sold? Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Got any long reach 18 mm plugs?
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I will look tomorrow. Highlander. PS They are all 'old'
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

You wouldnt have a CF cutout floating around would you??
Bruce
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Sorry no CF cut out and all the 18mm plugs are short reach. I am re-boxing all the bits and pieces (about 10 - 12lb tomato boxes) and making a list. Highlander.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Could I please place an order for one box Alister - I'd like to make a few jars of chutney.
Mike Stubbings

Post by Mike Stubbings »

Hi Highlander, Do you have any bonnet catches for 32Minor. I may have a cut out but I will have to search what is the CF number. Mike.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Mike, I do have bonnet catches. I will look at my minor (also 1932). If you dont have any catches at all - is something near OK? I will go out and have a look. Highlander.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Mike, Have just looked into my bonnet catches tomato box!! I have six catches. One is a cheap pressed steel half round 'hook' with hole . I have three slightly better, but still cheap, pressed steel with brass 'handles' (painted black). These handles when looked at from the front look like a sea bird landing - the beak is the catch and the 'wings' the handle. I have one which is the same as on my minor. Heavy chrome, very well made, 'ENots'. spring inside the tube and hole in catch. I have another one - not the same but almost - the spring pulls from the bottom (not the top) and the handle has a catch not a hole. If only I could photo the lot and post it on the forum!!!!! Where are you Mike? I am in the Epsom area of Surrey. Highlander. PS I don't know what you boys use as containers for your bits and spares. I spent over 40 years with Bowater the packaging Company and the 12lb tomato box (corrugated paper) which all supermarkets happily give away, is by far the best. They stack 12 high and do not collapse. For heavier spares the large Melon boxes are best. Highlander.
Mike Stubbings

Post by Mike Stubbings »

Hi Highlander, My Minor has one complete catch which is repairable and one which is incomplete. The part missing is the handle with tube section. It is a round tube 52mm long and 16mm dia.it has a hook handle with a half round hole which hooks onto bonnet section on the back of the handle is a round WHB which is Wilmot Breedon. All the holes match the holes in the bonnet etc so I am sure they are correct. If I wish I could email you pic but I would require your email. Thanks Mike.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Mike, I am sure my complete catch is the one you are looking for. I cannot understand why our Morris Minor had such well made catches when the Austin 7 just had black pressed steel cheapos. Are you local? My e.mail is:- alisterreid@yahoo.co.uk Highlander.
Toby

Post by Toby »

If you can send a picture I may have the 2nd one to go with it!
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Hi Mike
For my 1929 OHC minor the cutout should be a Lucas ERCFI I think............or so the parts list indicates.
It is a 6 volt cutout with a fusebox and cover incorporated into the unit under the cut out. Hope that makes sense
Thanks
Bruce