oil pump on SV engine 1932

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

g4pyd

oil pump on SV engine 1932

Post by g4pyd »

Hi all, I am having trouble with the assembly of my engine, the oil pump seems to br binding when its tightened up?
its been a long time since I stripped it down and there isnt much info on it anywhere,
my question is what gaskets does it require? :? how tight should it be when turned by hand,

I have made paper gaskets for the bottom but not the top

thanks in advance for any reply

Colin :D
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: oil pump on SV engine 1932

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Colin,

As for gaskets, there should be two thin paper gaskets - one under the cover plate and the other mating the pump to the engine.

If it is binding when you tighten the cover plate, I'd try it witout the idler gear to see if it is the drive or idler gear that is binding against the cover plate. I presume it all turns OK when the cover plate is off?

It really shouldn't be right at all when turned by hand, but a small amount of stiffness probably won't be a problem as it is bound to bed in after running a few miles. I'm assuming it isn't so tight that breaking the drive shaft is a possibility under load.

If it is one (or both) of the gears that are binding against the coiver plate, it should be relatively simple to have the gears and pump body skimmed or ground flat.

Not sure if any of this helps!

Ian
g4pyd

Post by g4pyd »

Hi Ian yes it turn fine without cover bolted down,when I take idler gear out its fine when bolted down, have skimmed some off the brass gear but not sure how far I can go?
the gaskets I have made seem ok but are thicker than the original that was on the bottom,
it was so tight that it took the end play out of the crank and thats how i noticed it when turned over by hand, you could see the play coming and going if you know what I mean
still not right but thinking.

Colin :?
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

So is the crank end-play normal if you bolt up the pump and cover plate to the engine, but without the idler gear inside?

I'm presuming it is the stiffness in the pump which is taking away the backlash in the crank spiral worm gear (and hence the end-float).

As for the gaskets, the pump-to-engine gasket thickness could possibly upset the mesh with the crankshaft worm gear if it wasn't right, but I would have thought that it would have to be pretty thick to have this effect. As for the pump cover plate gasket, if this was far too thick, then it would adversely affect the pump efficiency as oil could escape over the ends of the gears, but in reality, the pump flow is so great that this effect would not be drastic unless the gasket was far too thick. Remember that there is quite a bit of clearance over then ends of the gear teeth anyway.