Front Wing Buttons

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

DF9053

Front Wing Buttons

Post by DF9053 »

Does anyone know where I can get a set of the coach bolt type buttons that hold the front wings on. I would like stainless ones if possible
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I have a set fo six for the Semi-sports, but I bought them so long ago I can't rememebr where I got them from! I am going to fit them this weekend. The ones I have have a square section under the head like coachbolts, but the heads are much flatter than coachbolts. My wings are new and undrilled, so I'm going to drill square holes (if you see what I mean!) in the wings to acommodate them.

Then I need to decide whether to paint them and then fit them, or attach the support bracket with them before I have the wings painted. That way, they will be sealed to the wings with paint and less likely to let rust get started. I've also used small coachbolts to attach the running board brackets at the rear of the front wings.
Tony Gamble

Coach Bolts

Post by Tony Gamble »

Try the following :-

1. Holden's ie http://www.holden.co.uk search under fittings/special bolts
there are some stainless ones but check size.

2. The Site Box ie http://www.thesitebox.com search under bolts/coach bolts

There are probably others too.

Good hunting. :lol:
DF9053

Post by DF9053 »

Thanks both I will investigate.

I have seen some stainless fixings with Allen Key heads, as my square holes have long since disappeared, but thought these would look a little odd even if easy to fix on.

The wings will also be painted off the car, which I presume was how Morris did it, and fixing them on without damaging the new paint will be difficult. With the remaining complication of having to paint the fixings themselves!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

I fitted my nearside front wing today using new coachbolts I bought in England many moons ago. These are very slightly domed - not like regular coachbolts. They have a square section under the heads which is about 1/8" long. I drilled and filed three square holes in the new wing, then cut out the holes for the headlamp and sidelamp attachments. But I found that the square section under the heads of the coachbolts were bigger than the (round) holes in the wing supports, so rather than messing about with the bolts, I cheated and drilled the supports out oversize.

Anyway, the first wing is sorted now and next I need to remove it, offer it up to the new offside wing, mark the holes through and drill them out. The job I'm not looking forward to is drilling the holes for the bonnet catches. If I get those slightly out, the catches won't like up with the brackets on the bonnet sides, and also, they need to be fitted so there is just the right amount of tension in the catch springs when clipped on. So I think I will drill a single hole first, fit the wing and then see how the fit is. All very fiddly ands time-consuming, but hopefully it will all fit together OK.