Clutch plate

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Flemming

Clutch plate

Post by Flemming »

The clutch plate on our '34 SV Minor is cracked, so I need to find a replacement.

In Harry Edward's Morris Minor Information Manual the same drawing (on page 74) applies to all SV and OHC models, but the parts numbers are listed as different: 37932 for SV and 37041 for OHC.

Sports&Vintage Motors lists a clutch plate for the MG M-Type in their catalogue, so assuming that is identical to the OHC Minors my question is now if anyone knows what the difference is, and whether a clutch plate for OHC would fit a SV?

/Flemming.
Toby

Re: Clutch plate

Post by Toby »

Ferodo J23C is listed as minor 8hp 29/34 so covers ohc & sv minors. How much are they asking for them?
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Flemming

Post by Flemming »

Thanks Toby.

In my pricelist (january this year) its listed at 82.75£.

/Flemming.
Toby

Post by Toby »

Ahh, I was quoting the lining detail, sounds like you're referring to the plate itself (or a pair of linings are outrageously dear!) and I don't know if they're the same. May have spare clutch bits once we know the plate itself is the same.
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Flemming

Post by Flemming »

Yes it was the plate itself I was after. New linings will be good too, but my current plate is cracked from center and out on one side, so its the critical part.
Does anyone know the difference (if any) between the clutch plate on SV and OHC Minors?

/Flemming,
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

They are the same. Early Minors had dished plates, but the Sports & Vintage replacements fit all OHC and SV.

If you are ordering up clutch parts, may I recommend you acquire a set of MG J2 clutch springs. They are interchangeable with the Minor springs but have a higher spring rate, so give a stronger clutch operation.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I purchased a clutch plate for my sv and it was the same as the one I took off. How were your splines? I was not able to purchase (new) male spline which comes out of the front of the gearbox - I had to have this welded and machined. Since then, three years ago I have seen male splines sold or advertised on our forum. Go for it!! Highlander.
Flemming

Post by Flemming »

We judged the splines usable although not too good, so if I can find new then we'll definitely go for that. New springs also sounds like a good idea.

There is always help at hand in this forum! Thanks Ian and Highlander for reply and advice.

/Flemming.