M18904

Use this area to post details of your cars, your restorations, photos or rally reports.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Bruce

M18904

Post by Bruce »

Well she is home at last, just got to get it off the truck. Back brakes are siezed. Twas easy to drag it on with the winch, unfortunately cant drag em off with the winch. Anybody out there got a spare dashboard??
as found.jpg
as found.jpg (231.71 KiB) Viewed 5927 times
as found2.jpg
as found2.jpg (167.63 KiB) Viewed 5927 times
Bruce

Re: M18904

Post by Bruce »

how do i get the pictures to fit better??
Bruce
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hello Bruce,

When I upload pictures, I make sure the are about 800 pixels wide. Some graphics packages allow you to resize by pixel count. I use an applications called ACDSee to do this.

If need be, you can e-maiol the pics to me at vintageminor@gmail.com and I can resize and post them for you.

Ian
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Here's the pictures 800 pixels wide:

Toby

Post by Toby »

Blimey! Good luck, looks like you've a fair bit to do! :shock:
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Blimey...........

you may not be able to 'winch' it off..... but you can tie another vehicle or a tree to it and gently ease the truack away....!!! it's not like it'll run away with itself if the brakes are that well seized!!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Well I think it is going to be a great project. Bruce has parts of two other cars, plus a roadster body, and I KNOW he'll get all the help we can muster through the Register.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Thanks for your kind comments. She is now safely shedded out of the rain, which we seem to be getting plenty of just lately.
Luckily I do have plenty of parts for it. A set of the right early reasonable wheelscame with it. So there is a set of later wheels available if anyone needs them. Also came with a good set of mudgaurds. I have enough panels and timber bits to be able to repair/replicate the orginal Perth built body (by Krake Coachworks) we think. Both bonnets are a bit sad but hopefully repairable. Looking closely at the car I think the chassis is beyond repair, so may have to substitute the spare chassis which is a shame cos it has matching numbers. Thankfully I am a professional car restorer so none of this seems too hard to me.
Does anybody know whether this car should have Smiths or Andre Hartford shocks as original??
Also the car has the remnants of a nice brass bodied carburettor on it. What should it have and where can I get parts for it from?
And does anybody know the whereabouts of a 6 volt CF voltage cut out and I also need a dashboard...............
Regards to all
Bruce
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi Bruce,

Smiths were standard, the only car that had Hartfords from new as the M Type. However, Hartfords are good shock absorbers and I wouldn't hesitate to use them if you have them already. And you cna get all the parts for them.

The original carb. for the '29 cars would have been a mazak-bodied carb with bottm feed fuel bowl, 1" throat. You can get all the carb. parts from Burlen: http://www.burlen.co.uk/
Trevor Wilkinson

Post by Trevor Wilkinson »

If the images posted are too large just right clic and then " view image" to see the complete picture.
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

Trevor, I have been trying to send pictures via e.mail for ages but have failed. I noted your comment on right click and did just that on the photos printed above and saw an e.mail 'click', as I did not want to sent that photo to anyone I went into my Pictures and found a good snap and right clicked but no e.mail click came up (everything else!!) I am told it is easy and I would like to try again - what do I do. I can get the pictures up on my computer screen no problem, it is the sending of them. HELP. Highlander.
Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Highlander...

if you open a window with your pictures in it, (before you actually 'open' one,..) if you right click, i'm 99% sure you should get the option to 'send to.......'
click that, and you should then get an 'email recipacant'.... option......... at least that happens on my machine,.....

hope that helps!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Alister,

Sending pictures directly from the picture files by right-clicking on them and looking for an 'e-mail' option is one of those things that works differently with different operating systems.

Perhaps the more sure-fire method it to write an e-mail and then attach the file to the e-mail. Most e-mail applications have a fairly obvious method of doing this - typically a button with a paper-clip symbol on it. Hit this button and then you will somehow be prompted to navigate around your hard drive directories so you can pick the file (by filename) you want to attach to your e-mail (it could be a picture, a Word document or any other file.). Once attached, you just send the e-mail and the picture will go with it. You should also be able to attach multiple pictures (or files) before sending - the only limit being the total size of the e-mail with all the files on it - most e-mail applications (or at least internet providers) will limit the size of your e-mails so so many megabytes, but you should be perfectly safe with one picture - no matter what the resolution.

Do you know what e-mail application you are using? If I knew, I might be able to be more specific.
Bruce

M18904

Post by Bruce »

At Last after nine years work has commenced on M18904.
We have stripped what was left down completely, Chassis has been blasted and powder coated. Radiator has been recored. Leaf springs have been blasted and painted, and reassembled, axles stripped and painted, brakes stripped blasted and painted. And yesterday was rebuilding the Smiths shock aborbers. I have fitted buffalo leather linings. Will try grease free initially. We have 7 to choose from. I assume the early cars had "Smiths" and later cars "Morris" shock absorbers. Is the change date known? And does anyone know what was the correct greasing nipple for them see attached photo for options that I have.

Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Congrats Bruce. These Smiths shock absorbers look like a work of art!

Good luck with the rest of the restoration.