Zebra crossing

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Mike Stubbings

Zebra crossing

Post by Mike Stubbings »

Hi Ian, Great picture do you know where it was taken in Berks, probably not I would guess. I wonder if the Zebra and its rider were from Bertram Mills circus which had its winter quarters in Ascot at one time. My father worked for them and used to paint all the carriages etc. I remember him coming home to my grans house one day and grabbing the sugar shaker full of sugar and rushing back to work. When he came home in the evening he explained that he had to paint the coach pulled by four little ponies and it had to glitter and shine. He had the idea that if he painted it silver and then shook sugar over it when the paint was tacky it would look good.
I am very sorry to hear about your wife,have been there myself, fortunately tablets did the job for me. I hope they sort things out and that everthing is OK.Regards Mike.
David Whittle

Re: Zebra crossing

Post by David Whittle »

Mike Stubbings wrote: I am very sorry to hear about your wife,have been there myself, fortunately tablets did the job for me. I hope they sort things out and that everthing is OK.Regards Mike.
Ian
Seconded! Hope it goes away as quickly as it came. I have also been there as well, angiogram - angioplasty - coronary stent - tablets!
Pity about Malvern etc.
Best Regards David
OHC 1929 Tourer WE6554
prharris25

Post by prharris25 »

Ian,

Kathrine, James and I send you both our very best wishes and trust that Jayne makes a speedy and complete recovery.

Paul.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Guys,

I don't know what to say - Jayne and I have had over twenty messages and e-mails offering best wishes this morning from literally all around the world. It’s a real bummer missing the VMR AND VSCC 75 and everything else we had planned, particularly after not being able to get over last year, but health absolutely trumps all of that. This has been a growing worry for some time, but getting a nurse to see a doctor is a virtually impossible task. But she got so bad one night she got very frightened and went to the doctor that morning, so at least the problem is being addressed now.

My hope is that she can be diagnosed and sorted and we can plan for a really good 10th Anniversary VMR Rally next summer - I am looking in to deferring our BA tickets – I think they can be deferred up to 12 months for a fee, so I guess that will place a ‘not-after’ date on next year’s rally.

Thanks again everyone, you have all raised our spirits no end.

Ian & Jayne

PS - I'm not sure where the photo was taken in Berkshire, but it could very well have been associated with Bertram Mills in Ascot - I had forgotten all about that, but now my memory has been jogged. There are some other priceless photos like this in the Yearbook - one depicting a very interesting Minor van and titled, "9th January 1937. French stilt dancers from Les Landes, France, walking through Kensington on their way to the Albert Hall, where they were appearing as part of the Silver Jubilee Festival of the English Folk Dance and Song Society" - but you'll have to buy the Yearbook to see that one! :wink:
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

It's Jayne's 50th on the 27th, so in lieu of the party that was planned in Cirencester Thursday before the rally, here's what she is getting. The two brothers will arrive this Sunday from Spokane. English (of course) Springers - 8 weeks old, from hunting stock.

David Whittle

Post by David Whittle »

What a pair of corkers Ian! We had a Springer for 13 years, lovely dogs if you train them well, which we didn't! But she was still fantastic.

I am sure this will perk your Wife up no end.
OHC 1929 Tourer WE6554