Wiring

This thread is for General Discussion, and Forum Q and A.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Bruce

Wiring

Post by Bruce »

Hi All
Not sure if anyone is interested or not, but I now have the ability to manufacture wiring harnesses to original Lucas specs. If any of you are really into originality I am also one of the few people worldwide that has the original herringbone pattern braided cotton cables for our Minors. I also braid the harnesses in the prewar brown cotton, whereas most will only braid in black which I believe is incorrect,
Bruce
Tony Gamble

Re: Wiring

Post by Tony Gamble »

Bruce

The inevitable question ! How much for , say , a 1930 OHC Minor wiring loom complete ?

Tony G
halbe

Post by halbe »

Excellent question!

Regards,
Halbe
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Hi Tony and Halbe
I will be making a new harness for my car but only have a few remnants left and no dashboard. However I will be able to make one up from the wiring diagram and taking measurments off the car. Not the preferred option.

The price will depend on a number of things. One of these will be if anyone out there has a half decent harness that i can borrow to duplicate. Secondly it will depend on how many I can get orders for. Thirdly what are your intentions with the electrics on your car for example, flashing indicators, 1 or 2 tail lights, brake lights, twin filament dipping headlights, have your cars got the sidelights mounted on the guards, are you staying with 6 volts. I am hoping for around the $300 -400 mark. Thats Aussie dollars. A lot of suppliers are using the post war cotton braided cable for their harnesses which isnt actually correct. I have a supply of the prewar herringbone style which is a little more expensive due to its rarity but if you are wanting authenticity then this is the way to go.
Bruce
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Bruce,

I would think that Halbe would be able to help with an original wiring set for the standard OHC Minor. His 1929 fabric saloon has most, if not all its original wiring preserved.

Thanks for making this offer to the Register!

Ian
halbe

Post by halbe »

Hello Bruce,

I'm sorry to say that my wiring was so bad that it broke to pieces when i touched it. :?
It wasn't so much as an harnass but more like a lot of wires ( all black) going in the same direction .
On my car I'll need extra wires for indicators,2 tail lights, brake lights ,double filament headlights , maybe extra earth wires for all the lamps etc.
I'll stay with the 6 volt system.

This is how it was...... :?

Is your idea to make this into a harnass ?
I have lots of pictures ,maybe they can help you.

Regards,
Halbe
Simon

Post by Simon »

I do not think that early Minors had a wiring harness as I think I remember seeing a parts list with each of the cables listed with its length . I think that it was only the later SV Minors that had the cables made in a harness.
cammy

Post by cammy »

This was also the case with SL which was made in the same month as Halbes. The only thing that resembled a harness was a leatherette sleeve holding the wires from the dash board to the firewall. There was a teeny length of heeringbone sleeve somewhere under the bonnet but it disintegrated along with the wires.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

My information indicates that wiring harnesses as such were not manufactured until about 1930 by Lucas. So this would tie in with the loose wires in the parts list and the loose wires on Halbes car and a harness proper on the SV's. Lucas around the early 30s, developed a 33 colour cable spec until after the war when it was increased to 66 colours to meet the demand for all the extras, radios, heaters, indicators etc. Prewar cars had the braided herringbone wiresand post war cars had the coloured trace braided wires and in the mid 50s changed to plastic wires, allthough braided wires did continue right into the mid sixties. I have some E types harnesses in my harness "museum" for example that still had an odd braided wire in the harness. Anybody know why this was? My theory is that Lucas did this to use up their old stock as it seems to be mainly the less common colours.
Anyway I digress, Halbe in answer to your question, my thoughts for my harness was, in an effort to keep originality, if the wires were loose may be to use loose wires again. Lucas would have used black cotton wires with a rubber coloured ring on each end of the wire to indicate which circuit it belonged to. This I can do. However with our intention to include indicators brake lights etc we would have a myriad of wires trailing all over the car. So maybe we should braid these extra wires in black together and run them with the existing headlight, sidelight and tail light wires. So for example you would have one bunch of 2 wires braided together running from dip switch to RH headlamp, One for main beam and one for dip. We could also include in this bunch an earth cable that runs back to a central earth or use a loose short wire that runs from bulb holder to headlamp mount.
My biggest issue really is what type and size connector was used on what component as the remanants of my harness are far less than yours. (see my new postin members cars)
So any info or thoughts much appreciated
Bruce