What a cracking little car

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

D Johnson

What a cracking little car

Post by D Johnson »

Hi all

I have just been helping a friend who has just found half the contents of his SV Morris radiator in his sump. After changing the head gasket and a little investigation I have found the water to be coming out along the casting mark inside the valve chest under the ports. Has any one else experienced this? I think it may be terminal but if I could get it repaired is there any suggestions (welding/ stitching could be an option but its a hard to reach place). It’s the cars original engine so the owner wants to salvage it if possible. Also if the engine can’t be salvage does anyone have a spare early side valve block in reasonable condition?

Thanks for any help

David
Toby

Re: What a cracking little car

Post by Toby »

sounds like cracks due to studs/overtightening of head. Would suggest the head and block should be checked for flat as this is how i cracked my block trying to cure a leaky head! Cracks can be repaired but you'd need to have it assessed. Ian Cox at Cox and Turner sorted mine but at the end of the day it would have been a lot cheaper to have used/overhauled a different block! If you get stuck I may be able to help with a block or Ians tel.No. (he's based in Somerset). Toby
themings@yahoo.co.uk
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear