What a cracking little car

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

D Johnson

What a cracking little car

Post by D Johnson »

Hi all

I have just been helping a friend who has just found half the contents of his SV Morris radiator in his sump. After changing the head gasket and a little investigation I have found the water to be coming out along the casting mark inside the valve chest under the ports. Has any one else experienced this? I think it may be terminal but if I could get it repaired is there any suggestions (welding/ stitching could be an option but its a hard to reach place). It’s the cars original engine so the owner wants to salvage it if possible. Also if the engine can’t be salvage does anyone have a spare early side valve block in reasonable condition?

Thanks for any help

David
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: What a cracking little car

Post by Ian Grace »

David,

Re your friend's cracked block, I had a similar situation with my original-to-the-car (OHC) block in my 1930 Semi-sports Minor. In my case, I had the engine in a workshop in Sussex for rebuild. I was not aware that the owner was in severe financial difficulty, and one night, one of his debtors literally sent the boys round with sledge hammers. They broke in and smashed every engine they could find! My block ended up with a half moon piece the size of a dinner plate shattered out of the left side - luckily not on the inside with the integral oil gallery. To cut a long and torrid story short, I had a new piece of metal stitched in and the the repair is completely invisible (from the outside, art least!). The chap did an amazing job and I will dig out his contact details tonight and send them to you.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Found it. The repair was done by a freelance chap who works with Bradford Grinders.

Bradford Grinders, Mount Street, Bradford, BD3 9SN

http://www.bguk.co.uk/

sales@bradfordgrinders.co.uk
Toby

Post by Toby »

Not tried them but they have a large advert in The Automobile... Cast Iron Welding Services http://www.castironwelding.co.uk
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
Orstin

Post by Orstin »

I shall be taking a pal to pick up a large Edwardian block that has been repaired by Cast Iron Welding services on Saturday morning. I can report back, but my pal was very impressed with the set up when he delivered it for repair...
Orstin

Post by Orstin »

So I went to Cast Iron Welding Services Saturday to pick up the repaired block. I have to say, mighty impressed. I'll try and post a few photos in the near future, but camera is away for repair at the moment. Cracks are first revealed by use of penetrant dye, then ground away somewhat to create a reasonable surface area for the weld. The job is then bolted to a jig which is able to revolve and an 'oven' built round the piece with firebricks and asbestos sheeting. The whole thing is then slowly heated to 11 - 1200 deg c until cherry red, the asbestos sheeting folded back and the welding carried out - whilst the job is still in the oven. Quite a remarkable procedure. Other items in the workshop whilst I was there were cylinder heads from marine engines, bits of Tower Bridge, a cylinder block from a compound traction engine and other vintage car blocks. This process does inevitably end up by putting the piece slightly out of shape, so surfaces will require a skim to ensure they are flat and cylinders bored, perhaps a process only to be undertaken to recover something difficult or costly to replace or with significant damage. Lesser damage can be repaired by metal stitching which is not so invasive and carried out by people like Surelock. As ever, horses for courses.