Advance and Retard lever

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Johnwelsh

Advance and Retard lever

Post by Johnwelsh »

Hi

Can anyone please give me information on the use of advance and retard lever while driving

Sorry to sound a bit green on the matter but i am still finding my way while driving ie early sunday mornings when there
is no-one around !!!!

Many Thanks

Lightweight
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: Advance and Retard lever

Post by Ian Grace »

Hi John,

Sure. Basically, and assuming that your ignition is timed right, then you want to keep the ignition as advanced as possible, except when it is labouring, so retard it when pulling up hills. Also, make sure it is fully retarded when you start - particularly when hand cranking it, so you don't lose your thumb when it kicks back!

I'd be interested to hear more form others, but I think that is basically it. Some people prefer to fit an automatic advancing distributor, but for me, manual ignition timing is just one more of those wonderful, quirky, bygone features of our cars that were universally used when they were built and is nice to preserve along with the car.

Finally, if you look in the Gren Strickland archive on the website, you'll find copies of handbooks with more on the topic.

Hope this helps,

Ian
parthmehd

Post by parthmehd »

Ah, I have been longing to fiddle with that since forever. For me, setting the lever, crank starting the car and making minor adjustments while driving are part of the joy of driving a vintage car. Sadly, this is one of the quirks which is missing in my Minor (the first and only vintage I own) !! Someone has not only fitted an auto unit a long time ago, the necessary linkages are also missing. If someone does have the manual advance retard system (distributor and all) with the linkages and is planning to switch to automatic, do drop me a mail at parthmehd@yahoo.com. I would gladly buy it from you !
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Parth has a 1934 Minor tourer, so would need the right rod and bracket for a 34 season car. Parth, you need a Lucas DJ4 distributor and also a connecting link between the rod and the distributor. These small but vital links are available from Harry Edwards at Wellwood Farm, Lower Stock Road, West Hanningfield,
Near Chelmsford, Essex, CM2 8UY, UK. There are two types - short and long - short is for OHC engine, long is for SV, so specify the SV/long type when writing to Harry, or just tell him that your car is a '34 and he will know what to send you.

If you check in the Gren Strickland Archive in the Members' Area, you will find a 1934 season Operation Manual. Check out page 5 - General Hints on Driving - you will see a view of the 1934 cockpit layout including the ignition control - not a very clear photo, but it shows the ignition rod being supported at the top end by the stalk that also holds the horn button and indicator switch. This stalk was unique to the 1934 season cars. Do you have this vital piece?
parthmehd

Post by parthmehd »

Well, I see exactly what you mean but sadly I have no stalk. This is what my steering column looks like. So all the linkages, controls and buttons are missing. Any suggestions ?
Attachments
DSCN2017.JPG
DSCN2017.JPG (78 KiB) Viewed 3817 times
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Parth,

I'll start by placing a Wanted advert on the website for you.

Ian
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Ad posted.

Ian
parthmehd

Post by parthmehd »

Thanks a lot Ian !! I guess I will need the distributor, linkages, stalk, the works. However, I thing I might be able to have the stalk fabricated. Let me find out what my restorer says. He is already working on fabricating the water outlet for my Engine Head, so this just might work. Fabrication is quite cheap around here, so it just might click, though the distributor may be a different story altogether.

But that said, nothing like the original, if I can get my hands on it !!

Also, do you have Harry Edward's email or telephone ? Sitting in India, it would be a much easier way of communicating with him.
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Harry's telehone number is (+44) 1277/840697 and his e-mail address is edwrharo@aol.com.

However, he never answers e-mails with e-mails, but will respond by post. So, maybe better to call him if you can.
parthmehd

Post by parthmehd »

I will do that, Ian. Thanks a lot !!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

No problem - in less than an hour, we've exchanged info between India and the USA and put stuff out on the web for possible UK response!
parthmehd

Post by parthmehd »

No idea how I would have managed that without a resourceful chap like you !!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Don't get too excited Parth - you haven't got the parts yet! :o
parthmehd

Post by parthmehd »

Right !! Its already 1.30 in the night. I better get some sleep !! Thanks for your help !!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Post by Ian Grace »

Good night - its just after noon here, so you must be almost exactly the opposite side of the planet to me!