Advance and Retard lever

This thread is for discussing technical topics.

Moderators: Ian Grace, Will Grace

Toby

Re: Advance and Retard lever

Post by Toby »

more info... Harry does the bracket for the column too, unique to the 34 cars and due to the use of mazak as the casting material they are few and far between, I think Grens had the original but much repaired. As for driving, i find that retard to start is essential and then full advance thereafter!!! I have tried retarding minors on hills but it seems to make little difference. :D
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear
halbe

Post by halbe »

This the same for my Aston ,fully retarded on start up and fully advanced while driving.
Not a Minor but the same in this respect

Halbe
Highlander

Post by Highlander »

I agree with Toby and Halbe. It is a good test to see if ones timing is correct. Start the car on the starter fully advanced and it should just kick back, fully retarded there should be no kickback.. Highlander.
parthmehd

Post by parthmehd »

Here are 2 articles I found during my quest for a DJ4 distributor. This should help answer the main question in the post. I am still looking for the distributor, but at least I know more about how it works when I get one.

http://www.austin7.org/distributor_set_up.htm

http://www.oa7c.com/%28S%28bmy54frhmn3v ... eSupport=1

Hope it helps !!

Regards
Parth
Toby

Post by Toby »

Well found sir! Good article. I will look through some stuff in a couple of weeks time and see what I can find in the way of distributors. :D
if it's got wheels or chips - it'll cost you dear